Monday, April 20, 2009

One Hot Mama

Just the other day I was telling Bret that I needed a really good blog post, that nothing extra crazy or Wellsbrother-ish had happened in awhile. Why do I say things like that? Why do I even allow myself to think things like that?!

The day started pretty normal. "The Stink" is still with us -- not nearly as bad or strong -- but we're still opening the doors and windows during the day. After I got all the windows opened, I lit a candle. That's what I've done nearly everday for the past week.

A little later, Bret took Conner out to run a few errands. Micah is at Gammie's for a few days, so I was down to just Joey. He had just woken up from his morning nap, and we were sitting in his room reading a book.

Then I heard something fall. I didn't think much about it. After all, the windows were open. It was probably just a piece of paper blowing around in the kitchen. Then I heard it again. I decided that I might should go check it out...a cat may have wandered in or something. So I put Joey and his book down, walked into the kitchen...and saw the curtain going up in flames. Apparently the breeze blowing through the open window blew the curtains (which hadn't moved any of the other days that I had opened the window!) just enough for them to catch the candle.

I stood there for what seemed like forever, trying to sort through the thoughts racing through my mind, trying to decide what to do. I picked up the phone to call 9-1-1, and then realized that I should call our neighbors, the Myers first. If they had a fire extinguisher, they would certainly get to our house much quicker than the fire department.

Sure enough, Mr. Ron came running. He immediately began spraying the fire, Debbie called the fire department, Mandy (their daughter who happened to be here visiting) grabbed Joey and took him out, and Josh (Mandy's husband) started pulling things away from the flamers. I just stood there like an idiot, frozen in disbelief and shock.

Ron got the fire out before Debbie hung up with 9-1-1, and they did not end up coming out.

The aftermath:

A lot of the stuff there on the counter top is the remains of a bottle of Germ-X that had been in the window sill.Here's what's left of the curtain rods, blinds, and the candle. Yes...yikes! I am so thankful that I actually got up to check out the sound. The smoke detector did start going off pretty quickly after I got into the kitchen. It took a little while because the window was open. I am so thankful that Ron and Debbie were home, that they had a fire extinguisher, and that they were able to come running so quickly. I'm truly afraid that if it had gone even just another minute or two, that the wall and the ceiling would have been in flames.

So Joey and I went to the Myers house to hang out for a little while until Bret and Conner got home. Ron gave me perhaps the best Diet Coke I've ever had, and I finally stopped shaking. Then when Bret got home, I banished all the boys from the house while I started cleaning everything up.

(Yes, we made Joey's pack-and-play into a ball pit.)

Sweet Conner decided that he just had to have some grapes. He needed some patience (like pineapple self control), afterall.

A little while later Bret loaded them up and took them to the zoo while I continued to clean. There was a thin film of dust from the fire extinguisher coating everything. Uggh!

Then Heidi called. They were having spaghetti and cherry pie for dinner. Would we like to come? Umm...yes!

Thank you, Lord for keeping us safe and for giving us such wonderful friends! Who says you need kids around to make a little excitement?!

15 comments:

BooBoo said...

In the first picture, my eyes first went to the cross you had hanging on your wall...'Nuff said.
Love, MOM pfu,wpfy

Rachel said...

Bret gave me that cross for our anniversary a few months ago. It has fleur de lis on each end, with a Texas star in the middle. Very appropriate for our little leg of the Christ Journey...

Heidi said...

So glad you guys were okay. Thanks for posting pics...I have been trying to imagine what it looks like...

beccadawnruss said...

Oh Rachel..the Germ-X! ;)
I am so glad you guys are safe! Also, totally using the pack-n-play ball pit idea in a few months.

Heather said...

I'm so glad you caught the fire quickly and everyone was okay! Things could've gotten out of control, but "something" made you go check...God is good!

Hollie said...

So thankful and praising God everyones safe and your home is okay!! God is SO good and so are friends!!

Bret Wells said...

I love the title...

CB said...

Oh my how scary!! I am so glad you all are okay!! Where was Micah?? What great friends you have! I would have been so thankful for the spaghetti dinner and what a great idea for a pack n play to be turned into a ball pit! How fun!!

Rachel said...

Yes Bret...I thought you'd get a good laugh from the title! ;)

Micah is at Gammie's house. He was wanting some "just Micah" time. I'm so glad that I only had one kid here to deal with instead of three or four!

Target has great balls for the pack n' play ball pit. If I remember correctly, they're with the outdoor toys, a big bag of 100 or so for $20-$25. Works GREAT for my boys...

Krystal Carroll said...

Too Funny - I say funny because things like that happen at our house on what seems like too often an occasion. Did Not expect that story with that blog title - lol! Glad everyone is okay!s

Gammie said...

Whew! That was one scary day! So thankful that all of you are okay!!
It looks a little better than I thought it would. Guess that gave you your heart stress test for the year.
thankfulthatnoonewashurtgreatbighugsandkisses,me

Lee and Michelle said...

Reminds me of a time I caught the TV on fire my first year of marriage. Yes, those lovely candles were my culprit too. Guarding Angles are a blessing.

Chelsie said...

Glad you are okay:)!

Rachel said...

so glad y'all are okay!

Amanda Brooke Kilgore said...

OMG! Rachel - that is waaaaaay too excitement for one day. Bless your heart! I am so glad everyone was okay. I can only imagine how quickly your heart was pounding. And, thank the Lord for Mr. Ron!! You did well - three cheers for Rachel!