Tuesday, April 7, 2009

No Stars for Me Today

Today was one of those days. It was one of those days that ended with all of the kids in their beds, clean and with full tummies...but that's about all I can say for it. It was one of those days that has ended with me knowing that there will be no gold stars for my mommy-crown today. Maybe even negative ones.

It started off with Joey getting his first haircut. He sat really well (especially after I gave him a sucker -- and yes, that's hair that you see stuck to it), and I think the girl did a great job trimming and cleaning it up wihtout making him look too much older and grown-up.
But did I get a little envelope of the sweet little baby hair that was trimmed off? No! :( Did I even think about it until several hours later? No! I am so upset with myself. Not so much that I don't have the hair (I'm still not real sure exactly what you're supposed to do with it, but I know you're supposed to keep it, and I have Conner's and Micah's...), but that I didn't even think about it to decide not to keep it. Poor, poor neglected third child...I promise your frazzled Mommy does love you.

And did I get an after-shot? No! It wasn't until I sat down to write this blog post that I realized it, either. So, notice Joey's haircut next time I post of picure of him. He's a big boy now!

So I certainly didn't get any gold stars for the haircut experience...now on to the cactus...

We were outside playing, in a different part of the yard than usual. (For those of you who don't know/remember, we actually live in a house on someone else's property, kind of in their backyard. Our "yard" is actually a couple of acres maybe. Not real sure how big an acre is, but our yard is big as far as yards go!)

So we were in a little bit different place than usual, and Joey was out with us. Anytime Joey is out with us, my supervision of the big brothers tends to go down a notch. At one point, while I was fishing leaves and pinecones out of Joey's mouth, Micah came up to me saying, "Look, Mom! This will be great for my ping pong paddle!"

I looked up, and yup, he was holding a cactus leaf. (Is that what they're called? Bret says to just go ahead and call them prickly pear "paddles.") I told him to drop it and show me where he got it.
It wasn't until then that I realized that I had never told the poor kid not to touch those cactuses. As far as I knew, he had no idea that they were prickly. What kind of mom has cactuses like that in her yard and doesn't warn her children about them?! Me, I guess... I asked him if his hand hurt, he said no, I checked out the "paddles" and I couldn't see any pricklies, even touched one and it felt smooth. Is there a such thing as a thornless cactus? I think this one was a prickly pear, and the prickly pears where I grew up definitely had thorns!

Then I turned around and saw a little trail of "paddles." Apparently, he had picked several. Yet, it seemed that there were no thorns in his hands.

"But Mom," he said, "Uniqua's ping pong paddle is just like that one." Ohhh...the light bulb in my head finally clicked on. In the Backyardigans episode, "The Ping Pong Bandit," they play ping pong in the wild west, and apparently they pick their paddles from the cactuses. How did I miss that? Sorry Backyardigans, but I'm afraid today is a rare day -- no gold stars for you either.

He's in bed now, and as far as I know he really didn't get any thorns. I definitely picked one out of my own finger though. Go figure...

So maybe tomorrow will be a better day...and hopefully Jimmy and Debra won't decide not to let Grace come over and play after they read this...

11 comments:

CB said...

So cute about the cactus paddles! And that sweet Joey's hair, I am not sure what you are supposed to do with it either!!

Lydia said...

Oh, Rach - I know what you were doing tonight - and if you pulled it off by 7:00, there are definately some stars to get you out of the negative... :) And don't you think that you've done some many good things that it would take a whole whole lot to get you in the "negative"...? I do.

Love you and think you're amazing!!

Lyd

Heather said...

Girl you're a great mom! I certainly know have those days also, but just to make you feel better, there are worse things that could have happened. Such as (please note my intense sarcasm)-
1. Not letting Joey have a sucker while getting his haircut 'cause he needed to "tough it out."
2. Not remembering to get a picture of the haircut AT ALL. Wow, what a bad mom you would be then!
3. Letting Joey EAT the pinecones and leaves instead of fishing them out of his chubby little trap.
4. Laughing when Micah brought you the prickly pear "leaf" and saying "Wow, what a goofball."
5. Telling Micah to go whack Conner with his new "paddle".
See what I mean? :)
We all have those days and I firmly believe that if they end in the way that you have described - clean kids in bed with full tummies - that, my friend, is success.

Amanda Brooke Kilgore said...

Only a little boy would call them "cactus paddles". How cute is that?? Funny story, by the way. Thanks for sharing. I know you feel really sad about not getting a lock of Joey's hair, so do what I did: Cut off a little bit at the bottom of the neck so no one will notice and put that in the envelope that you put in the baby book. It made me feel a little better about myself. (And Rhett is my SECOND child. What will happen if I have a THIRD??)

beccadawnruss said...

Hey!
I award you one gold star for being the kind of mom that takes the time to play with her kids outside. Even though she knows it's going to be difficult to keep the baby from eating whatever he can get his hands on. Even though she could send them out and stay inside with the baby but would rather spend time with all her boys!
I award you one gold star for being the kind of mom that doesn't always use the TV as a babysitter and has actually sat down long enough to watch an episode of Backyardigans and retained enough to remember where Micah got his "great idea!".
I award you one gold star for being the kind of mom that loves her kids and loves being a mom so much that she has the highest and greatest expectations of herself and strives every day to live up to them!
I have often wished I had the kind of patience and ingenuity you put into your parenting and I wanted you to know that you are the kind of mom I want to be....even on an "off" day. ;)

Rachel said...

Wow guys. Thanks for starting my day off with tears! :) What good friends and family and blog buddies I have...

Krystal Carroll said...

Okay... mine's not big enough to get into anything yet... but if thats a "no gold star" day, I might be in time out more often than not.

From what I can tell, your an AMAZING mom and you should give yourself a break. I'm not a keep the hair kind of person... so I'm definitely not blaming you there.

And he's a boy - hes supposed to do things like "high five" cacti... gives them cool battle scars to brag about later! But I certainly am glad you found the world's first non-prickly prickly pear... nothing kills me like when I think Jax is hurting...

TGirlsRock said...

Wow, I loved your blog and everyone's comments! I will give you 5 gold stars just because I wish, like Becca, that I was more like you and because you take the time to blog about all your adventures so your kids and your family will never forget the moments!
Love ya girl...
wt

BooBoo said...

Hey, I started writing a novel, so I'm cutting it down to this:
I am very thankful that you have such wonderful, kind, wise friends!Don't think I can add anything of value to their words!
Love, MOM pfu,wpfy

Word verification update: "chinaxe" Don't even want to think about that one!

Rachel said...

I talked to Mr. Ron...there IS such a thing as a thornless prickly pear cactus. And luckily, that's what we have! I guess the one thorn I got was like the random seed in a clementine orange. Perhaps it was my payment for not thinking to warn my children that most cacti DO have thorns...

Amy said...

Rachel-- ditto everyone else.
You're my hero! ;)