Sunday, April 26, 2009

Sunday Mornings

This morning, Micah got up at about 6am. I was just getting out of the shower, and Bret was just getting up, but somehow we managed to get him to just chill in our bed for an hour or so. During that time, I was able to dry my hair, put on make-up, get dressed, and pack the church bags.

Joey and Conner got up not long after that. Then everyone ate their powdered sugar donuts (a weekly Sunday treat), I got Joey dressed, and not long after that, Joey was down for a nap. It was about 8am at this point.

Bret left for worship (there was some additional set-up to do today and he had to be there earlier than usual), and I began to get Conner amd Micah ready. Joey ended up sleeping for a little over an hour and a half, and during that time I managed to clean the kitchen and unpack some bags from our weekend trip. (And break up numerous brotherly fights.)

After Joey woke up, I got everyone loaded up in the car and we were on our way -- with time to stop and get a latte at Sonic and get to worship early!

There's always a lot to do on Sundays, and it's often much more hectic than today would show. But as I watched Josiah throw several two-year-old type temper tantrums later this afternoon, my mind quickly jumped back to Micah around a year ago -- and I began to think about how Sunday mornings were just a few months back. My mind wandered back to a blog post from about nine months ago, in which I chronicled most of the events of the morning in detail.

Don't get me wrong -- I certainly loved and enjoyed my kids then -- but I'm finding that the combination of ages 5 1/2, 3, and 13 months is much easier (in regards to getting everyone dressed and going in the morning, anyway) than the combination of ages almost 5, barely 2, and 4 months was!!

Indulge me as I reminisce:

Sunday Mornings at the Preacher's House
July 6, 2008


Let me first make two caveats to this title:

1) I don't pretend to think that Sunday mornings at our house are all that different from Sunday mornings at anyone else's house. (If they are planning to go to morning worship, that is.) I just happen to live at the preacher's house.

2) "Sunday Morning at the Preacher's House" insinuates that the preacher is in control. We all know this is not right! It is not the preacher's wife in control this morning, either -- it is the preacher's kids. Not in a bad way, not in a disrespectful, demanding sort of way -- it's just the way things are. The way the morning goes depends on when they wake up, the mood they wake up in, if they eat breakfast, if their sheets are dry, how many times Micah tries to go poopy, whether or not Josiah needs me holding him every minute, you get the idea...

10:30 pm Saturday - Sunday morning preparations actually begin the night before. Because the preacher leaves the house an hour or so before we do, I have to do some things ahead of time to save my sanity. Normally there are just two bags to pack, but today is the first Sunday of the month, which means there is no Kids Worship for Conner. That means there are three bags to pack. (One for each kid -- crazy, I know, but they're all in different places...) Snacks, juice cups, bottles, formula, wipees, burpees, diapers, pull-ups, markers, stickers, coloring book, workbook, money for the Jesus Jar...

I also must decide on lunch at this point. There are no plans (or money!) to go out for lunch today. We will be eating at home as usual. The timer on the oven does not work, so I cannot make up a casserole and just stick it in before we leave. I am stuck with either the crockpot or a very quick and easy something I can put together as soon as we walk in the door. Let’s see, quesadillas sound good...is there any cooked chicken in the freezer? (I certainly don’t feel like cooking any tonight!) Check. Tortillas? Check. Enough cheese? I think there's enough that we can manage.

4:30 am - I'm up and in the shower. The goal is to be out of the shower, hair dry and fixed, makeup on, and dishwasher unloaded before anyone else wakes up. The preacher’s kids often start waking up around 6:00-6:30. To be dressed for church would be nice, too, but I don't have much to work with in the way of clothes that I would wear in public, in particular to church. To have the church clothes on already only aligns the planets in such a way to ensure massive amounts of spitup, sticky-pancake-syrupy-finger-hugs, spilled apple juice or milk, etc... It is much better to save this part of getting ready until the bitter end!

5:15 am - Josiah is awake and hungry. I am out of the shower with my hair dry, but there is no makeup and the dishwasher is still full. (I got distracted by the laundry I forgot to finish last night...) This is not optimal for two reasons: 1) the longer I wait to finish up my stuff, the better chance there is that it will not get done before the other two wake up, 2) Joey eating at 5:15 means that he will probably be ready to eat again at 8:15 or 8:30. We usually try to be walking out the door by 9:00. Even though we don’t actually need to leave until 9:15, I must leave room for error. I accept the fact that we will probably be late.

6:15 am - Joey is fed and back asleep. I have my hair done, makeup on, church clothes laid out, dishwasher unloaded...and Conner and Micah are still asleep. Phew! I think I'll check my email and paint my toenails!

7:15 am – “Need go potty!” I guess Micah’s awake. Well, that hour was nice. Too bad I spent most of it fighting to keep the internet connected for more than five minutes. It’s over now, though! Hurry, hurry, hurry, get Micah before he wakes Conner up. “Good morning, Micah. It’s Sunday-Churchday!” “I not want go church. Not want Batman. (He has on batman pjs.) Want spiderman.” Great…one of those kinds of mornings…

7:30 am – Potty, batman shirt off, chocolate milk, fruit loops, Gwi-gwee Gweet (Sesame Street)…Micah is better. Time to wake the preacher. As I walk down the hall, woop! Good morning, Conner. “Mom, I think my sheets are wet.” Awesome.

7:40 am – I checked Conner's sheets -- Phew! False alarm. Top bunk sheets are so not my favorite! "Micaaaah! You need to come help Mommy clean up the fruit loops that you scattered across the living room floor."

7:50 am – Joey will probably be waking up soon. Hurry, hurry, try to get Conner and Micah breakfasted, dressed, shoed, teeth brushed, hair combed before Joey needs to eat.

8:15 am – Conner is dressed and ready to go. Time to tackle Micah. I put on the shirt, and here comes the weekly church-shirt-temper-tantrum…shirt on, let’s add fuel to it and go ahead and fix his hair…and more fuel, let’s brush his teeth.

8:30 am – The preacher has left for church (he's runnung a little late, having witnessed the church-shirt-temper-tantrum), Micah has calmed down and is ready except for the shorts and shoes. I save that for the last minute after he goes to the potty. I would only have to undress him to get the undies off and the pull-up on. He’ll probably throw a fit about the shoes, too. Hmmmm…do I go ahead and wake up Joey or see how long he’ll sleep? Do I dare get dressed before I feed him?

8:45 am – I’ve put the breakfast dishes in the dishwasher, made the bed, gotten juice cups in the bags, dressed myself, Joey is still asleep. I guess he was really tired. It goes against everything in me to wake a sleeping baby, but I guess I’ll have to. I’ll diaper and dress him, potty and finish dressing Micah, and go ahead and leave. Joey may scream in hunger the whole way to church, but he’ll just have to wait.

9:10 am – Micah didn’t throw a fit about the shoes – the first time in two months! Joey's still doing okay, too. We’re headed out the door…

9:15 am – We’re pulling out of the driveway…

9:23 am – We’re at church on time with a smile on everyone’s face!

This was an amazingly smooth Sunday morning, much smoother than I thought it would be when I started this post, very unusual. Don't you just love happy endings?

3 comments:

Heidi said...

I am glad it's so much easier now. I keep pondering about our life in a few months and how much its going to change. I know there is no way to even imagine the change, but your post give me a small glimpse. Although, having a 9 year old (by the time the baby is here) will REALLY make things easier (she's a BIG helper!!)

Amanda Brooke Kilgore said...

You get up at 6 in the morning??? You get five gold stars from me today. I can't even function at 6 a.m.

Anonymous said...

What's a "4:30 am"?