Sunday, April 12, 2009

Resurrection Rolls and Roles

All day today, on Easter, this day of celebrating Christ’s glorious resurrection – all day today I have been experiencing resurrection. But first let me share a bit of a back story so that you can better understand:

On Thursday morning I noticed a smell. It was a stinky one seeming to originate in our bedroom. Bret couldn’t smell it though, so thinking I must be crazy I shut the door as usual to keep Joey out, lit a candle and dismissed it. But by the time Bret came home that evening and opened the door, the smell that came pouring out was unmistakable. I began to wonder if I would even be able to sleep in there until the smell had been remedied. But Bret still couldn’t smell it. He actually asked if I was feeling alright and alluded to some kind of disease that presents with nonexistent odors!

By the time I got all of my regular evening chores done that day though, I crashed on the couch…and slept there all night. I simply did not have the energy to turn the bedroom upside down looking for something smelly. I’d save that for Friday morning…

…and the fruit of my labors Friday morning consisted of a pair of old gym socks and an old sippy cup that had been under the bed – neither of which were the source of the smell. I was beginning to hope that there was nothing wrong with the plumbing, and wonder if one of those crazy opossums had died under the house. So I closed the door and spent the rest of the day caring for Grace and the Wells brothers. When Jimmy came to pick Grace up, he could smell it. (Finally, someone else confirmed the existence of the odor! Two other people besides Bret had been in, and even after I mentioned it to them, they said they couldn’t smell it either…) Jimmy sniffed around, tossed out a few ideas…and then Bret came home and thought maybe he could smell it.
But by then there was no time to deal with it. It was time for us to leave for Mom’s and Dad’s house for the weekend. If only two, maybe three out of five people could smell it, it couldn’t be that bad…surely it could wait until we got back Saturday afternoon…

But when we opened the door Saturday afternoon, the smell nearly knocked me over – and Bret could finally really smell it! (I finally realized that maybe he is so congested that he just can’t smell very well…) So we brought Ron and Debbie in (who could definitely smell it!), and Ron proceeded to remove some paneling from the side of the house and crawl underneath to check it out. There was no doubt that this was much closer to the source of the smell.

The verdict: no dead animal (that he could find, anyway), but apparently there is a leaky shower pan which has gotten the insulation and sub-flooring wet. He called a plumber...who never showed up.

And now you are caught up on “The Stink.” Back to resurrection…

My morning started off with the sound of my alarm. I remember thinking, “Why in the world did I set that? Today is Monday, Bret is off, I don’t need to get up at 5am!” And then I woke up a little over an hour later and remembered why I had set it…oops. And then I took a deep breath and nearly choked on The Stink. (Truly, I think that our house must smell the way that Mary expected the tomb to smell on that day! It’s awful!) But it was pretty cold and raining outside, and I couldn't really do much in the way of opening doors and windows to air us out. I just had to deal with it.

So I got into the kitchen as quickly as I could and began making Resurrection Rolls. Resurrection Rolls are basically a marshmallow wrapped up in a crescent roll, and as you cook the crescent roll, the marshmallow disappears, leaving an empty “tomb.” I had never made them before, but they looked easy enough. I was planning to make a batch with our kids, a batch for my preschool class, and several batches for our worship gathering.

And then I realized that I may have gotten in over my head. These were easy to make, but very messy. There were melted marshmallows oozing everywhere. I felt as though I was being haunted by the hot, sticky slime that had once been the body of Jesus. Yeah, had to quit thinking about that. It creeped me out a little… But I soon found that scrubbing the cooked-on ooze was plenty to occupy my thoughts! (I still think it was a fun recipe – I’ve included it at the end of this post.) And the smell of cinnamon rolls certainly helped with The Stink!

In the meantime, we were letting the kids check out their Easter baskets and dealing with the resulting mess. Bret was having a really rough morning. After a rough night last night, things just weren’t going his way or falling into place like they were supposed to this morning. And he really didn't feel well. He was not in the best of moods. Joey was getting into everything. Conner and Micah were not interested in the resurrection rolls much at all, and they just wouldn’t stop fighting. And I still had to get everyone dressed…

Worship was good. I hear, anyway – I was in the preschool class for the majority of time. (But ended up spending most of my class time in the bathroom with three 5-year-olds and two 3-year-olds. Yeah, that was awesome.) But Bret told me that there was a lot of talk about seeing resurrection in our own lives. And somehow, even though I wasn’t there for the sermon or group discussion, I began to see resurrection throughout my day.

By the end of the day, I sit here writing, thinking of how nice and pleasant our day ended up. When we left for worship, I didn't have much hope. The house was a wreck. Resurrection Roll mess in the kitchen, dirty pjs strewn about the living room, Easter eggs everywhere. A little bit of mess and clutter doesn’t bother me. But the out-of-control kind really stresses me out – and that’s where we were. But Bret, Micah, and Joey all took naps this afternoon (at the same time!!) and Conner spent a little while playing on his Leapster. Naps played an important resurrection role – they gave me ample time to resurrect order in our home.

The weather played a resurrection role, too. It began cold, cloudy, and raining. But the afternoon and evening were beautiful – the day resurrected itself. And that did number on everyone’s attitudes. Frowns, scowls, tears, and whining were resurrected into grins, giggles, and overall pleasantness.

And even The Stink has played a role. It’s still pretty bad, but because the weather righted itself we were able to once again open the doors and windows to air the place out. Ron did some looking, and in order for him to do so I had to clean out our closet. The panel allowing access to all the pipes and stuff for the shower is in there. And in the process, I resurrected my missing tennis shoe!! I had decided that surely Joey must have put thrown it away. But nope, it just fell behind some things. Sorry, Jo-Jo. A plumber is on his way here tomorrow. Just the promise of some help has resurrected hope that The Stink will leave us soon.

So there you have it – resurrection throughout our day. On the day that we celebrate the glorious resurrection of our Savior. I know these kinds of resurrections were not exactly the kind that Chris was referring to during worship this morning. But they were important to me, as they kept me focused on the real meaning of Easter all day. It was a different way to spend Easter for me...and it was really kind of nice...

And the recipe, as promised:

Resurrection Rolls
1 package Crescent Rolls
8 Large Marshmallows
Melted Butter
Cinnamon & Sugar

1) Each child gets a crescent triangle (the tomb)
2) Each child takes a marshmallow (Christ's body) and dips it in butter (the oil) and rolls it in cinnamon and sugar (the spices)
3) And places the marshmallow on the crescent triangle (the tomb) and wraps it up (pinching all the seams around it to ensure none of the marshmallow oozes out) Yeah, thought I did a good job of that, but apparently didn't!
4) Bake according to package directions
5) Break open the "empty tomb"...the marshmallow dissolves during the baking process
6) Discuss the miracle and blessing of Jesus' resurrection

7 comments:

TGirlsRock said...

Praise God for the simple things that make life a little less stinky... :-)
wt

Lydia said...

Oh, rach! that sounds fun - the rolls, that is.

were you referring to me that didn't smell it? I smelled in in your room, but not in your house.... but i don't think my sniffer is as sensitive as yours is either...

love you!

Rachel said...

Oh yeah, Lydia. You were here, too. You make a third extra person...

Maybe my sniffer is just especially atuned to stinks. I guess that IS a part of my "job description"...

Heidi said...

Glad I wasn't there to smell it...I bet it would have made me sick! Glad it is getting fixed today!

BooBoo said...

You did live a resurrection day! Even though a bad start is not fun, it's probably better than having a bad ending...Thanks for sharing! Love you, MOM
pfu,wpfy

BooBoo said...

...and Rach, are you sure the stink is from that leaky shower pan?? Maybe it's because Bret can't find his deoderant!

Word verification: hayeein
I'm laughing like a "hayeein" about my joke...

Rachel said...

I'm not sure of ANYTHING these days! :)