Wednesday, May 13, 2009

I Guess It Could Have Been Worse...

On Saturday night, Josiah was walking through the house. He stumbled over his feet a little, started falling...and knocked his face on the edge of the dining room chair...resulting in an "awesome" bruise on his face. You can kind of see it in this picture:

What you can't really see in the picture is the bruise above his eye -- where he walked right into the edge of the kitchen table a little while later.

The bruises are healing. They're that lovely greenish-yellowish color now. But then yesterday after we got out of the car from running errands, I discovered a little bruise on his upper thigh when I changed his diaper. Apparently I had pinched his leg in the carseat, and that tough little booger hadn't cried! By this morning, that bruise had grown quite noticeably.

Then today we were at the park. He stumbled and fell again -- this time on a concrete sidewalk. He sustained his first real bloody scraped knee. "Awww," I thought as I picked him up and comforted him. "My baby is becoming such a rough and tumble boy. When did he grow up?!" A little later I thought that might be today's blog post. But then...

He fell again later this evening while we were playing outside at the home of some friends, and bloodied the other knee...

And then the chair he was climbing in turned over backwards and he bloodied his other cheek, eye, and a shoulder on the driveway.

I started off the day with a clean, slightly bruised baby...and ended up with a red-faced, sweaty, sticky-with-bug-spray, super-bruised and bloody boy. This picture doesn't even almost do it justice, but it was the best I got.

Man, he looked rough as I was putting him into the bathtub, all of his little injuries fully exposed. It occurred to me that I might should document these injuries to protect ourselves! :)

And for the record -- I promise we haven't been totally irresponsible. When he fell at the park, I snatched him up before the fire ants he had fallen in had a chance to get him. I also rescued him from walking in front of the swings a few times, sprayed him with bug spray twice (and I actually think we managed to avoid all the mosquitoes!), got him off the top bunk a few times before he lunged himself off, Bret took the sharp knife he had gotten ahold of away before he hurt himself, and later caught him before he stepped out into the street -- and as appropriate, we carefully iced, washed, neosporin-ed, and bandaged the wounds that he did sustain. Maybe we'll take it easy tomorrow...

5 comments:

Heidi said...

Poor little buddy.... I must have missed him getting hurt at our house. I feel so bad for my kiddos when they are hurting....

Gammie said...

Awwwww, poor baby! Bless his heart. He is a tough little fella.
He looks like he was in a wreck or some kind of street fight.
Give him some extra hugs and kisses from us please!
How are you doing???
greatbighugsandkissesandaiddybiddy
babyonetoo!muah!me

BooBoo said...

Hey, you start out with that little bruise, yet he's climbing "the" ladder! Like you said, you saved him from so many potentially much worse injuries!
I love your last picture of him...scraped up and all, he has a smile on his face! You're letting him be a boy! (Although, I'm not real sure you could stop him!)
Love you! MOM pfu,wpfy

word verification: "noste"
translates as "Nasty!"

Amy said...

It's just one of those days...
Pathetic though they may look, "babies" are so cute with all their bruises! I know, that's just wrong! haha It makes me sad to know they hurt, but there is something cute about it!

Lee and Michelle said...

I used to get discouraged with myself for so many bumps and bruises on my little one and not being able to catch him before he falls. Now seasoned(like you), it's a bit easier on my ego. Nice job documenting the bumps I know exactly what you mean about having the stories to substantiate what really happened before it all becomes a blur. I love the last pic of Joey! What a trooper!