Thursday, May 28, 2009

Haircuts

Call it desperate. Call it adventurous. Call it crazy. Call it genius. Call it what you want...

I saved $25 today. Again.

That's right. I've added to my growing list of "jobs" haircutting. I finally got tired of paying for little boys haircuts, and with the encouragement of a friend (thanks, Becca!), decided to give it a try. I've gotta say, I'm pretty proud of myself. I don't think they look too bad! Admittedly, the boys start looking shaggy a little quicker than with a "real" haircut, but I think we can handle that. I just pull out the clippers, scissors, squirt bottle, and popsicles and have at it again!

I tried Joey's once. His sweet baby hair is still just too soft and fine for my unrefined and clumsy fingers to be able to do much. So I'm still paying for his haircuts as this point. And the big brothers whine that I take too long, and they get too hot sitting outside in the sun. BUT, I'm saving about $25 everytime I do this. Wooopeee!

If only I were brave enough to cut my own...

5 comments:

Heather said...

Can you do the "fade"? I can take the clippers and do it one length all over, but I can't get the fade right. If you've mastered that, then let me know how!!

Rachel said...

Heather, I certainly wouldn't say that I MASTERED the fade...but I try it. I use a #6 guard all over Conner's head, and then a #4 on the bottom half, up to about where his head starts curving. (I cut Micah's a little bit shorte than that.) Then a do the finger thing with the scissors at the line. Like I said, it starts looking shaggy after a week or 10 days, but I think it looks pretty good when it's fresh... Try it, and if you mess it up, you can always just buzz it all with the #4!

Jeremy said...

Nice shades...

Lee and Michelle said...

Yeah! I'm impressed!

BooBoo said...

Yep, Rach! That's kinda the way Peepaw taught me to do the fade...never got expert at it, but...it sufficed. I resorted to the boy-hair cutting, too, and I only had one of them! (Your dad doesn't count in the hair department!) Seems like boys just need haircuts a lot more often than girls...
...and I don't think even professional hair cutters cut their own hair...so you're excused!
Proud of you girl!
Love, MOM pfu,wpfy