Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Pokemon

Conner loves Pokemon.

Conner. Loves. Pokemon.

No really, he loves Pokemon.

I just don't love Pokemon.

It all started about a year ago, when a friend brought a Pokemon book to worship. Conner saw it, and it was love at first sight. A month or two later, when he was still talking about it...and happened to still have some birthday money...we went to Barnes and Noble...and Conner became the proud owner of The Pokemon Ultimate Handbook.

He has read and read and studied and studied and studied that book. And it shows. The cover is very worn. The pages are dirty and bent and taped. The binding as been taped and glued together on more than one occasion. Of course part of that is because Joey has gotten ahold of it a few times. But mostly, it's because this book has been loved.

I've done some research on Pokemon. I thought it would be good if I had some kind of idea what it is that my kids is so fascinated with. Here's what Wikipedia had to say:

"The name Pokémon is the romanized contraction of the Japanese brand, "Pocket Monsters" as such contractions are very common in Japan. The term "Pokémon", in addition to referring to the Pokémon franchise itself, also collectively refers to the 493 fictional species that have made appearances in Pokémon media." I also learned that the company is fourteen years old, and is the second most successful and lucrative video game-based media franchise in the world, behind only Nintendo's own Mario series.

Interesting.

So what is it that Conner likes about these little guys? Well, I asked him this afternoon, and this is what he said:

They have super powers. They look like creepy creatures, except they’re not. The thing I like about them is that they live in a Pokeball. And the coolest thing is that when you throw it, the Pokemon collect inside the Pokeball. And the coolest thing about Pokeballs is that they’re half white and half red. And they have a little circle in the middle. There’s like, a thousand Pokemon and I like it because they’re all different. Not even one of them is the same.

The thing about Pokemon battles is sometimes there is a type of Pokemon battles that there just has to be just rock types, sometimes just electric, sometimes just normal, and sometimes just ghost.

I like Pokemon movies because there are more than one Pokemon in it.

But he didn't say the other reason that I think he loves them. I think he loves them because they are a collection. And each little Pokemon comes with a lot of little random facts and trivia. Next to each one's picture in the book, you are told which type of Pokemon it is (ie - grass, poison, electric, etc...), you are told which region it is from (I think there are three), what it evolved from or can evolve into (most of them have three stages), what "moves" it can make (in battle), it's height, it's weight, and a couple of other random things. Conner has a lot of these things memorized. He really just eats up that kind of stuff.

He also likes to draw Pokemon. The other day, he decided that he was going to draw them all, so that we could play some kind of game with them. On that day, we drew 53 Pokemon, and the next day we drew 30-something. He picked out four of the favorite ones that we drew that day. I've also included the page out of the book so that you can see what they really look like. Conner does a pretty good job, if you ask me! (And yes, our deal is often that I draw the black lines, and he colors them in...)
Skorupi:

Staravia:
Staraptor, which happens to evolove from Staravia:

and Seedot:

And, of course, if Conner is drawing Pokemon...Micah has to draw them too. Only Micah doesn't look at the book. He just makes his up. This is Wony Bony.When we play Pokemon battles, Conner gets out his book. Then he chooses a Pokemon that he would like to be, and you are left with only the ones on the same page to choose from. Each Pokemon has certain "moves" they can use during battle. They are listed in his book, and when we play, you can of course, only use the moves listed for your Pokemon -- but Conner is the one who always holds the book. I can't hold the book so that I can see the list. But I can only use the moves listed for my Pokemon. I get in "trouble" if I use the wrong move. And I get in "trouble" if I do the right move, but act it out wrong. So I guess. Luckily, there are a few moves that are pretty common, and I've picked up on those!

Why don't I like them? 1) Pokemon battles are so exhausting for me mentally. I have a really hard time not getting frustrated and losing my patience. And Conner often gets pretty rough when we play. But I do it, because Conner loves to. 2) They're anime. 3) Conner just gets so obsessed with these little guys sometimes, where it seems that Pokemon is all he can think about, all he can talk about, all he wants to play. 4) As I said before, Pokemon exhaust me. There are so many facts and trivia to keep up with, and we (Bret and I) often get in "trouble" if we don't know the stuff that Conner thinks we should. The guessing games that he likes to play ("What region is each Pokemon from?" or "We don't have to really battle. You can just say Pikachu's moves and I'll tell you if you win or not.") are really just mentally exhausting, because they are often played at times that I've said "no" to "real" battles because I'm really trying to get something else done, and he's just kept on and on and on asking me to do some kind of Pokemon with him so that I've agreed to whatever game this is, Micah is whining and Joey is throwing a fit, Conner doesn't seem to understand that he might should pause for a minutes if I'm talking to someone else or have to go into another room or have a baby screaming in my ear, and my puny little brain ends up not doing any of the things I'm working on well.

So there you have it. A documentary on Pokemon at the Wells household. I guess I'm glad that there's something out there for Conner to like so much...but if you have a little boy who is starting to get into super heroes and action figures and stuff like that...be warned. And Conner doesn't even know that the show comes on everday or that there are Pokemon trading cards... Your life might never be the same! :)

3 comments:

BooBoo said...

I've gotta agree: It is exhausting!...but what a mind that Conner-boy has!
I think I like to play more the way Micah does: Make up your Pokemon and moves as you go along...
Good drawings, by the way!
Love you! MOM pfu,wpfy

but a good thought: At least they're not creatures that live in the "suers." (Right, that's the w.v.)

Heidi said...

I'll be sure and let him know about the Pokemon show and trading cards...JUST KIDDING!

Anonymous said...

Has anyone seen the Sout Park cartoon that makes fun of Pokemon? If you've seen it it makes this post all the more funny.

- IS