Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Five Reasons I Like Meatloaf

Meatloaf has such a bad rep. I don't really get it, because around here, the Wells' love us some meatloaf!

1. It's cheap. (Especially when you get the ground beef for free -- thanks, Mom and Dad!)

2. It's easy. (Dump, squish, cook.)

3. We all like it. Everyone nearly always asks for seconds. (Thank you, Gammie for the wonderful recipe. And thank you Family Fun magazine for the idea of cooking it in muffin tins, served with fun toppings like cheese, ketchup, or Ranch dressing -- but everyone likes it so much that we hardly ever add anything.)

4. It's healthy. (This recipe involves no ketchup -- except what the kids might add -- and hides some veggies and whole grain crackers inside.)

5. My kitchen helpers love to crumble the crackers!!

9 comments:

Heidi said...

Please share your recipe??!!

Rachel said...

yes, please! not that steve will eat (i'm not sure what he eats;) but the boys and i will!!

Rachel said...

Pam's Meatloaf:

*1 lb hamburger (the leaner the better)
*20 crushed saltine crackers (I use the multigrain ones)
*1/2 can tomato sauce
*1/2 bell pepper, diced (When I don't have fresh, I use that PictSweet frozen seasoning blend you can buy at WalMart with the onions, bell peppers, and celery.)
*3/4 c grated cheese
*seasoned salt (and whatever other spices you want to add)
*1 egg

Mix well. To make a loaf, bake in a loaf pan at 400 for 1 hour. To make 12 meatloaf-muffins, bake in greased muffin tins at 350 for 30 minutes. (When baked as "muffins," these freeze really well, and the leftovers are great in sandwiches. Bret uses the other 1/2 can of sauce on his sandwiches.)

Gammie said...

Yay for meatloaf! This portion of the Wells family had meatloaf Saturday night! (no left overs here either)
But...I didn't have good cracker squishers like you did :(
Good job Conner and Micah!!!
greatbighugsandkissesandaiddybiddy
babyonetoo!muah!me

BooBoo said...

helpers in the kitchen!! love it!
MOM pfu,wpfy

Bret Wells said...

my sandwiches are not so healthy but they are pretty stinking awesome! I cover the meatloaf in tomato sauce or spaghetti sauce and mozzarella cheese then toast the bread with olive oil and oregano...i'm so fat.

BooBoo said...

hey, you use olive oil...no harm done!

Amy said...

I really think my kids might like that... and Jon, well... he'll just have to get over the "thing" he has with meatloaf! I'm all for something new and easy to add to my rotation!! Thanks for sharing!

Bret Wells said...

Amy -
1) Tell Jon to stop whining.
2) Don't tell him its meatloaf...tell him you found a way to make muffins out of beef - every guy's dream!
3) Tell Jon to stop working all the time and eat some Rosa's with me...I'm starting to think he doesn't love me anymore.