Monday, April 12, 2010

Rainbow Cupcakes

I've been helping some friends out for the past couple of weeks. I've been watching their two little boys on Mondays and Wednesdays, and will be for the rest of the school year. Ian is about a month younger than Micah, and Hudson is about two weeks younger than Joey. I've watched them a time or two before, and we had a blast then. So I was more than happy to do it again!

In the afternoons while Joey is napping, I usually try to let Micah do something fun. You know, like puzzles or board games or special crafts, the kind of things that just aren't as fun when your kid brother is trying to "help" you all the time. Micah's been really excited to have a friend to do these things with him!

Today they were wanting to cook, and I had a recipe that I had been wanting to try with the kids. About a year ago, my friend Heather posted pictures of a birthday cake she had made for her son. (Yes Heather, I straight-up stole this picture from your blog but hang on, I'm advertising, too: Heather's cakes are beautiful on the outside, too -- click her name to go to Heather's Cakes! I don't know how this girl can turn out cakes like this while chasing around two little boys...)

I had never seen anything like it before, wondered how she did it, and knowing her cake-baking talents far surpass my own, assumed it took far more time and talent than I had to even try. And then I saw a recipe for Rainbow Cupcakes in a magazine a few weeks ago. They looked awfully similar to Heather's cool alien cake, and was easy, too!

So it was Rainbow Cupcakes on the menu for us this afternoon. The boys helped me with the beaters,

helped me count the drops of food coloring for each bowl of colored batter,

...and of course helped me eat them! :)

They actually turned out much cuter than I was expecting!

And what did Joey and Hudson think of them when they woke up? They didn't care too much about the cupcakes, but they had fun anyway!

Thanks, Ian and Micah for all your kitchen help! And thank you Joey and Hudson for taking a nap!!

post signature

5 comments:

Heidi said...

They turned out great! Ours weren't too hard to make...the process was just kind of messy.

A Blessed Wife and Mom said...

CA-UUUUTE!! They look great! I wanted to try that recipe so much because I knew that when I was a kid, I would've LOVED it! It looks like your boys did too - your such a good mom to do that just because!

Bonnie said...

fun stuff! Those boys' smiles tell it all!

Rachel said...

i let the boys eat one for breakfast (i know breakfast of champions;) and also have one in their lunch - thank you so much for sending them home!! they we're so excited!! and everyone at their school kept asking me how you made them. - they were very impressed.

p.s. ian is so glad tomorrow is "micah's house day" ;)

Bonnie said...

Gotta mention Micah's generosity:
I went to the house on Tuesday. Micah, very excited and proud to be the recipient of the very last rainbow cupcake, had his mom cut it in half so he could see all the beautiful colors even better. Then after he showed me, he said, "You can have half of it, BooBoo!" What a generous little guy! (and it was yummy!) Thanks Micah! (and thanks Rachel and Bret for being such good models of that kind of behavior!)