Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Potty Training?!

Yes. I started potty training Josiah yesterday. Yes, he just turned two. Yes, that's pretty young, especially for a boy. But I'm telling you, he's been screaming that he's ready for weeks now.

For a month or so now, every time Joey has gone #2, he's come running to tell us. We'll run to the potty, and about half of the time he's already finished before we get there. But the other half of the time, he'll finish in the potty.

Then on Monday we had a pretty frustrating day. He kept running to the bathroom, taking off his diaper, peeing on the rug in front of the toilet, and putting on either someone's dirty underwear that he found on the floor or one of Micah's night-time pullups. (Yeah, now that is funny! Does a lot of good, don't it?)...then I realized that he can't get up on the big potty himself. He's been trying to put all of his "stuff" in the potty, but just can't quite climb up there. I decided that it was time. Even though he's young, even though I had wanted to try it in the summer when we weren't working around school schedules, even though I'm watching a couple of other kids two days a week...the kid's practically begging me to help him get out of diapers.

So yesterday morning we dropped Conner and Micah off at their schools and went on the Wellsbrothers potty-training shopping trip. We have plenty of undies (thanks to big brothers' hand-me-downs!), but it seems to work well for us when the potty-trainer gets to pick his own that he's really excited about. In Joey's case, it was Diego. And then since we couldn't find Conner and Micah's, we went to check out the potty chairs. We were going to just borrow one, but when we saw the frog potty, one of the cheapest that Target had, Joey fell in love. He saw it, grabbed it, found a place to sit on another shelf, and began inspecting it.Seeing how excited he was about it, I decided to drop 10 bucks on the frog potty, hoping that might be just the motivation that he needed. He carried his frog potty through the store to the checkout, to the car, it sat in his lap on the way home, he carried it in the house, we opened it, and he immediately used it!We had a brief little talk about putting our tee-tee and poopy in the frog potty now instead of his diaper, put his new Diego undies on, and began what I expected to be a veeeeeeerrrrrrry loooooooonnnnnnnnng day.My strategy with Conner and Micah was to ask them if they needed to go every 20 or 30 minutes for a few days. They kind of learned how everything felt, I backed off, and we were good to go. It worked with them, so that's what I've attempted to do with Joey.

We started off with a "bang" -- two accidents in a row, followed by rude and indignant refusal to even go try. The interest in all things "bathroom" reached a new high,and he quickly learned that he could get out of pretty anything by claiming that he needed to go potty.

By then it was naptime. We put on a pull-up and both got a much needed break.

And then...

And then...

He woke up barely wet, and first thing ran to his frog potty, deposited his #1, and we celebrated. (Another thing I did with the older ones -- everytime the potty trainer puts something in the potty, he gets an Easter egg with a few little candies in it...and so does everyone else! That way everyone is very excited and encouraging. ;) It just happens to work out this time that it's actually Easter.)

Then I continued asking every little bit, and he continued to refuse. Then a little later, I found him in the bathroom, undies off, sitting on the potty going #1 -- all by himself! We celebrated again.

So I backed off on the reminders and suggestions, and a little while later I found Joey going #1 all by himself again!

By the end of the day -- even after a 2 1/2 hour bedtime cartrip (in which we thought he would go to sleep, but he didn't, and when he got home and ran to the frog potty and filled it up we figured out why!), we had three wet pairs of undies and one barely wet pull-up. By my thinking, that's not too bad!

Then this morning he woke up with a wet pull-up (but not as heavy and wet as usual), and ran to his frog potty. He didn't have any luck that time...but five minutes later he ran in and took care of it.

And that's how it's been for the rest of the day so far. I remind him every now and then, but he never needs to go when I ask. He goes when he's ready. The only accident we've had so far today was in his pull-up at the park. (Probably my fault, since I had been trying to gather everyone up to leave for awhile, and it happened right as we were leaving...)

Joey-Jo, I am SO PROUD of you!! You are making this much easier than I ever imagined! (You think it has anything to do with the fact that even though this is my third go with potty training, it's my first attempt without also caring for an infant?!) After having at least one child in diapers for over six and a half years straight now, I'm looking forward to getting that $30+/month back, and to once again living a life without diapers!

And then in the midst of my excitement, I find myself near tears that my baby is growing up... Oh my Jo-nado. As hard as you are, I love you so much that I think I might bust.

post signature

9 comments:

A Blessed Wife and Mom said...

That is SO awesome! Go Joey!!!

Lydia said...

Wow!! Good job, Jo Jo!! Rach, when you were talking about potty training this weekend I didn't know you were doing it now! Good luck!

Rachel said...

Lyd, on Sunday I didn't know I meant "now" either!!

Gammie said...

Yay Joey!!!! We are so very proud of you!!!!

Bonnie said...

How awesome for the entire Wells family! It's a win-win-win-win-win situation! ...but I know the baby-grow-up sadness, too...
Too much happy to let it get you down for long, though!

Amanda Brooke Kilgore said...

Guess what? YOU get to come to MY house and potty train Rhett since you are having such good luck! I haven't even TRIED to potty train Rhett. I'm waiting until he's three...
I L.O.V.E. your idea of everyone getting a potty prize! Now why didn't I think of that?!!!

Rachel said...

Amanda -- I remember when Jodi was potty training. Mom did the same thing, we all got an Easter egg with a treat in it when she put something in the potty. We were all practically begging her to go, and she loved all the attention! I've got to give my mom all the credit for that idea. :)

Lee and Michelle said...

Wonderful News! I bet he is so thrilled with himself, to get to be like the big boys!

j.c. delgaudio said...

try the towel potty training method.