Sunday, March 8, 2009

Happy 1st Birthday, Josiah!

Today was Josiah's 1st birthday. My, how time does fly! I can't believe it's been a year since he was born... (Click here and here for his birth story.) For us, anyway, I think Sundays are the hardest day of the week to have a birthday. So today was a little weird, but we made it work. Thank goodness we didn't have any evening activities planned!

Conner and Micah got to pick one present for Joey to open this morning before breakfast. They chose the bongos from Gammie and Poppy.What an appropriate present -- Joey loves his Daddys' djembe. (And I think Bret loves the bongos just as much as Joey!) Thanks Gammie and Poppy!

Micah has has a pretty hard time with all of this, with Joey's birthday coming so soon after his. It's hard to understand that it's Joey's turn now and all the presents are not for Micah anymore. Poor kid, some lessons are so hard to learn! Then it was the usual Sunday morning hustle and bustle -- until we got into the van. We had turned Joey's carseat around last night, and everyone was very excited about it. :)
After church and lunch and naps, we finally got down to the "party." (Can I just say here that there's a lot to be said for not having a big party that everyone comes to, for consolidating trips and partying when we would be seeing family anway, for trying to make it easier on everyone involved...but it's also exhausting in it's own way. We've had six birthday parties in the past four weeks -- one, two, three, four, five, and this makes six. Good grief, I'm sure you guys are sick of reading about birthdays! No worries -- our next birthday is not until August. Well, for our little immediate family, anyway...) Nothing big, just a little family celebration.

Grilled fish for dinner (and grilling lessons for the brothers, they were totally into that this evening!).Joey had lots of "help" opening his presents after dinner. He got lots of cool stuff -- cute little markers just for babies, a couple of cute pairs of shoes, and a fun bubble machine, just to name a few.

He did not, however, need any help with the birthday pie! (Yes, birthday pie -- after five birthday cakes and 2 1/2 dozen birthday cookies in the past month, Mommy was a little birthday caked-out. Pie sounded better tonight!)

Happy birthday, my sweet Joey Roo. We so looked forward to spending this first year with you. You have blessed us beyond measure. I look forward to your second year just as much. You're really coming into your own, and we can't wait to get to know you more as you begin to get around and talk more in this next year! :) (Although I must admit that thinking about this summer with three little boys going three separate directions anytime we go somewhere makes me more than a little bit anxious...)

PS -- I'm happy to announce that it is now after midnight, and we have not been in the hospital today. Hallelujah!!

6 comments:

Tiffany said...

Yay! Happy Birthday Joey! And can I say that I was praying all day that I wouldn't be the reason y'all were in the hospital on March 8th. Not that I wanted any of you guys to be there either, but as much I want Kaleb to be here--a full month early is a little too early!

Heidi said...

Did you have an okay day?? Was it as hard as you thought for your baby to turn 1?? You and your boys will have to spend lots of time with us this summer in my Aunt and Uncle's pool....that is where we spend most summer days....and it's so much safer than a public place where all the kids can get lost!!

Rachel said...

Thanks, Tif. I agree, a month is just a little too early...

And Heidi, I actually did okay. A few little tears in the morning, but then after that there was enough going on that I didn't have the time or energy to feel sorry for myself! Your Aunt and Uncle's pool sounds fabulous! Sign us up!

CB said...

Yay Joey!!! I so remember the day he was born!! Glad it was a good March 8th, no hospital!!!:):)

Amy said...

Rachel, he is just too adorable!! Happy Birthday, Joey!!

BooBoo said...

How proud Joey looks to be facing the front! Whether that's exactly what that big grin is about or not, it sure is a "I'm a big boy now!" look. Happy, happy birthday...glad you had some "calm" time in the evening rather than a hospital go-to...
Love you all! MOM pfu,wpfy

And glad Chicory made it through the day, too...so much for "word verification" omens!