Thursday, March 12, 2009

The Battle of the Diaper Change

Ever since Josiah started crawling, and especially since he really got good at it, changing his diaper has been hard. Squirmy, uncooperative babies at changing time are nothing new to me -- I've had three of my own now, and have "tackled" plenty of other ones in church nurseries and preschools.

But Joey...Joey has been different. Joey can twist and squirm in ways that shouldn't even almost be humanly possible. There have been days that I've let him walk around in a very wet and heavy diaper, just because I didn't feel like taking part in the fighting and squirming and crying that was sure to ensue. And if poop is involved...it's not pretty! I've had to change my clothes after changing his dirty diaper more times than I care to admit. There have even been occasions that he's managed to squirm in such a way that we both end up in the bathtub.

My answer -- never use a changing table, never even change him on the bed or on the couch. It's always the floor. Once I've caught him and we're down, I put one foot on each arm, right next to his shoulder, hold both feet with one hand, and change the diaper with the other. Most days, he can't turn all the way over this way. But he can still lift his whole body us and twist most of the way...

Thankfully, as Joey has continued to become more and more mobile, and particularly since he has started walking, this diaper change battle has slowed down a bit. There are times that I don't have to hold both arms down. I can usually get by with just one. And on occasion, he will actually just lay there and let me take care of business in a quick and efficient manner. But there are certainly still "those days."

Pam (my mother-in-law, better known here on The Wellsbrothers Blog as "Gammie") has laughed and laughed about this. She's practically begged me to get a picture. Umm...one foot on the right arm, one foot on the left arm, one hand holding two feet, the other handed wielding the all-important wipe...yeah. Maybe if I was a monkey and had a tail I could work the camera in, too. (Actually, a tail is not a bad idea...think about it...it could be like a third hand...) We never seem to think about it when Bret's here either.

But today I gave Conner the camera, and he captured it. Well, almost...Joey's actually smiling during this diaper change, and there's no poop where there shouldn't be...but you get the idea... So here's to you, Pam:

7 comments:

Gammie said...

Yay! Thank You! And thanks to photographer Conner! Great job fella! However, this pic really doesn't do it justice! He is actually laying there. I didn't know he could keep his back and hinney on the floor. Again I say thank you and Rach, you are the diapering queen! kudos!
love ya, me

Adron & Houston T. said...

Great workout for ya I bet. That would really give you a flat stomach, so add working- out to you daily mom list

Amy said...

Conner did a great job with the pics. And your toe nails look great, too!! haha

Rachel said...

Thanks! I was really glad when I saw that picture that I had taken the time to get a fresh coat of paint on my little piggies a few days before. It had been a bit scary! :)

BooBoo said...

All you've needed all those traumatic diaper changes was a little 5-year old photographer...that seems to be the magic distraction (on this particular occasion, anyway!)...

...and my word verification is...
"handali"...Yes, you chaged this diaper very "handali" and very "footali!"
Love, MOM pfu,wpfy

TGirlsRock said...

This was too good not to leave a comment! If you can believe it, my sweet little Jessica used to be just like that. She didn't like doing anything SHE didn't want to do. So, I totally feel your pain.

Amy said...

Well to add to what Wendy said, I had to change Ernest this very same way. It took forever to change a diaper! Andy and I have talked about how God is the great comedian, giving us Caitlin first. She was this calm quiet little girl and then BANG!!!!!! LOL