Friday, March 20, 2009

Got Teeth?

Bret and I were talking tonight. (I know, it's crazy right? The Wellsbrothers are at BooBoo and Yogi's house for the weekend...) So Bret and I were talking, and we were both reminded of a "funny" from our stay in Louisiana. It's totally blog-appropraite, so I thought I'd share:

We lived in two houses during our 2 1/2 year stay in Louisiana. One of them had a very big yard and was on a very busy street.

Now, for you Texans, it is important for you to understand the Louisiana bar ditches. There are no shoulders on the roads. Just a few inches of grass, a huge bar ditch, and then your yard. The locals claim the bar ditches are the drainage system, they're supposed to help keep the water off the road when it rains -- 'cause it rains a lot.

Well, I've seen what happens when it rains there, and if the bar ditches are keeping some water off the road I'm glad. Even with the "drainage system" the roads flood all the time. I seriously think that the real reason for the bar ditches is so that the mosquitos will have yet another place to live and breed -- so that the mosquito truck drivers can still drive around in December spraying for them. And there have got to be some alligators living in some of those ditches, too...but I digress...

One day as I loading kids in the van to go to the grocery store, I noticed that the traffic in front of the house was unusually backed up. Upon closer inspection I discovered that the reason was a car had parked right in front of our house. (No shoulders, remember...the car was completely blocking the left lane.) Everyone was trying to use the turn lane to go around, and others were trying to use the turn lane to turn...it was a mess!

Then I saw two women (at least I'm pretty sure they were women, if you get my drift!) standing in our bar ditch looking intently at the ground. At this point, I made sure that the air conditioner was on for the kids in the van, and went over to see if they needed any help.

"Oh no," one of them said. "My friend just lost her tooth and it flew out the window. We're just trying to find it." What??!! Then the friend looked up at me, nodded, and smiled. Sure enough, there was a big gap where one of her front teeth should have been. How does that even happen?!
It was all I could do to wish them luck and make it to the van before I started laughing hysterically and picked up the phone to call Bret. That, my friends, is a small glimpse of true life in Lousiana...

3 comments:

Rachel said...

For a Foundations retreat (that's what we're doing this weekend, why the kids are at BooBoo and Yogi's) update and pictures, go to Bret's blog www.ancientjourney.blogspot.com

Or you can click on his link in my blogroll in the left-hand column.

Bret Wells said...

hehehe - I'll never forget that story. Whatever can be said about south Louisiana, it is definitely NOT boring!!

That makes me think of the story of the guy drinking beers at the redlight next to a cop...the first time I walked in a WalMart and saw whiskey on the shelves...

but I gotta stop with the stories and go to Foundations so I can tell stories...

Lee and Michelle said...

I agree Louisiana is "special" .