Sunday, March 29, 2009

Family Sunday

It was Family Sunday at the Christ Journey worship service this morning. To go with our message from Haggai, we participated in an ancient Israeli celebration, in which families read together Psalms 113-118. Cool, huh? (Way to go, Chris!) The Wells family was assigned Psalm 118.

Trying to find the best way for our family of three readers and two non-readers to participate in this together, Bret and I looked it up and read it in several different translations before we divided it up and made assignements. Even just the exercise of putting it together was kind of fun.

The first four verses repeat a phrase several times, which is then repeated again at the end. Sooo...I read the first part of the psalm from the Message, and Micah memorized the phrase "His love never quits!" He also knew to say it everytime that I nudged him. We marked the verses that Conner would read next in his children's Bible, and then Bret finished us up...until the last phrase when we said in unison, "His love never quits!" Micah was so proud to have such an important part, and Conner was of course glad for any excuse to read his Bible to an audience.

Everyone had their parts down and knew exactly what to do when we practiced last night and this morning before worship, but...

Micah wouldn't say his lines.
I know he knew what to say and when to say it, but he wouldn't speak. Just stood there with his softie sucking his thumb. I was so sad -- I wanted everyone to hear his little three-year-old voice say, "His wuv nevah quits!"

He waited patiently while I finished reading my part. (Look how anxious Conner is for his turn!)But then while Conner was reading (he did an excellent job -- we're so proud!) Micah decided it would be a good idea to just lay down on the floor up there. I tried to at least get him to stand up.

But...no such luck. So I just picked him up and held him. About that time, Joey (whose part was to quietly chew on his marker and be still while the rest of us read) decided that he needed to help his Daddy hold the microphone. So I put Micah back down and took Joey. Bret read his part, and we all said the last line together -- except for Micah who had laid down on the floor again! Oh, well...at least Conner did a great job! (Thanks to Uncle Chris and Bubba for being there with us and snapping the pictures!)

We began to walk back to our seats, and I was trying to get Micah to stand up -- not the easiest thing to do when I was holding Joey and Micah was unwilling. Bret shooed me away, saying he'd get Micah. Awesome. I continued walking back to our seats...and then tripped over a microphone cable. I stumbled, I swayed, I took a few steps to catch myself, but I remained upright! Everyone gasped in terror that I was about to bust, worried that I would smoosh Joey in the process. Yeah, it was one of my prouder moments...

But to give Micah credit, I guess he really was tired and needing to lay down. A few minutes later he was on the floor again -- this time actually asleep!

It was a little crazy, but isn't that kind of part of what family is about? I thought it was a great thing to do on Family Sunday, and I'm so glad that we got to participate in this way. After an awesome Children's Sermon (Mr. Ron, you're the bomb!) where we remembered/realized that all of these ancient Bible characters we read about are actually our great-great-great-times-who-knows-how-many grandfathers, it was cool to think that thousands of years ago there were probably other families with small children trying to do the same thing...

And by the way, I hear the podcast version of the Wells Family Bible reading is pretty funny -- applause, clunkity-clunk-thump-thump, applause. Look for it tomorrow (hopefully?) at christjourneylife.com!

3 comments:

Heidi said...

I loved it! And thought it was SOOOOOOOO precious!

BooBoo said...

Yea!! I heard good reports from Lydia...What a neat way to include entire families. And I know that Micah knows "His love never quits!"...He sees and feels it in action every day through his loving mommy & daddy! Love, MOM pfu,wpfy

Rachel said...

Okay, so the editor edited out my graceful exit...but you can still hear Conner's excellent reading at the Christ Journey website...