Thursday, September 25, 2008

Today I am Thankful

The weather is definitely cooling off around here. We've been having lows in the 60's and, thanks to a cool front coming in, even in the 50's for the next couple of days. (It's still getting up into the high 80's, but that's another story...) As a result, for the past two days my head has been pounding, my glands are about the size of golfballs, and somehow even though I am so congested that I can hardly breathe through my nose, it has been dripping.

After staying up until after midnight last night doing laundry, picking up toys, doing the dishes, checking my email, writing a quick little blog post, etc...I set the alarm for 5am. Surely that would be early enough to get a shower, get my hair dried, maybe even get caught up on some other things. Ummm...yeah... I heard Conner and Micah waking up and coming into my room as I was getting out of the shower sometime before 5:30.

...and I was just sure that my head was going to explode...and secretly hoping that when it did the might knock a kid or two out for a few minutes...

Much later in the day, when I had decided that the thought of loading everyone up to go get some kind of medicine sounded worse than just toughing it out, I found it. I found some Zyrtec-D shoved in the corner of the medicine cabinet. I quickly popped one, and just knowing that a little relief was coming made me feel better immediately. My attitude suddenly changed from, "Poor me, my head hurts, my throat hurts, my nose is dripping, I just want to go to sleep, but the kids are always needing something" to being thankful.

I am happy to say that I am in the process of ending my day still congested but feeling much better...and with a little list of things I am thankful for:
  • macaroni & cheese and chicken dinosaurs
  • Ducky Joe's (an indoor playground that we went to today)
  • my friends that met us there, and the opportunity to talk to some other adults
  • that there was no one here to see me walking around with Kleenex stuffed up my nostrils (except the brothers, who thought it was hilarious)
  • the twelve days that I have left with a dishwasher
  • that I'm sitting here watching he season premiere of Grey's Anatomy
  • that the big bang on the house that I heard a few minutes ago was not an intruder, but apparently a baby raccoon that had fallen out of a tree and onto the roof
  • that when I shocked/electrocuted myself while trying to defrost the freezer earlier today, the only effects seemed to be fifteen minutes or so of tingling in my arms
  • three sleeping babies
  • only two days until Bret gets home
  • the Zyrtec-D!!

5 comments:

Yogi said...

Thanks for the reminder that no matter how dismal our situation feels...and REALLY is at times...it is impossible to think of ONLY one thing for which to be thankful... Once the mental exercise is made to think of one thing, another and another pops into our heads and a list develops. Our God is good and and will provide the joy in any circumstance...
Hope you feel better today. Love you! MOM pfu,wpfy

Amy said...

I'm proud of you for making the choice to be thankful. I have a friend who really practices "thankfulness" as a relief to many illnesses, injuries, etc. It's amazing what the mind can do!! Way to hang in there!

Lee, Michelle, Cooper 4 and Allie 3 said...

I'm so sorry you have been feeling bad. It is a challenge taking care of all the kids when you're feeling great and no looming problems are in the forecast. But ... when you don't feel 100% now that's really hard. Take it easy and plop in a few movies for those great boys. Lots of Love!

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry you've been feeling bad. I hope it eases up and you get to feeling better...I know it will help when Bret is back...ONLY ONE MORE DAY!! YAY!

Yogi said...

...and I like your new background, too. Beautiful & cheerful! MOM
pfu,wfpy