Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Brothers

I'm feeling a little guilty. I've told too many stories of the negative-type over the past few days. Today I was reminded how many times over those same past few days these boys have played together. They have actually played well together a lot, and in some new ways.

We got out the "Diego Game." (Go, Diego, Go! 123 Game) Something has clicked in Micah's little head since we got it out last. Those boys actually sat there and played the game together, taking turns, giving one another cards, Micah making his own matches -- through completion. I totally could have gotten something significant done, but I was too busy watching in awe. (Gammie, Poppy, and crew -- you especially can appreciate this. You guys gave that game to Conner for Christmas a couple of years ago and witnessed first-hand his fascination...and determination to keep the cards away from Micah. Of course at that point Micah would have eaten them if he had gotten them...)We have also had several visits from Rascal the Raccoon. (It's amazing how brave she's gotten since Chicory has been at Gammie's.) We decided to put some waffles out for her. (I had burned them that morning. No one else wanted them!) They went out, lined them up in the grass, and then actually hid in the bushes, waiting to see their "Raccoon Booby Trap" work. Eventually they got bored and came in. We missed the first waffle's demise, but the second one was pretty cool. We actually watched Rascal walk up, sniff around, pick the waffle up, take a few bites, and then carry it over the fence. Conner and Micah were so excited. Sorry there's no pics...Joey was being a little high-maintenance, and I just never could get a good one between him and the big, slow, clumsy camera. I'm so sad.

Then yesterday they got out Whac-a-mole. Once again, Micah was able to follow along and play by the rules. He didn't get a very high score, but that didn't matter. They were playing the game together and having a blast.Joey, of course, wanted in on the fun too. He spied a mallet, rolled/squirmed/scooted his way over to it, and began whacking away.Some days, in the exhaustion and frustration of the moment, I find myself wondering what in the world we have done. Why in the world did we ever think three was a good idea -- and why, if three was a good idea, did we think it would be good to have the three within 4 1/2 years of each other?

Then I walked into the Big Brothers' room a little while ago to put away some laundry. I panicked for a moment when I saw that Micah wasn't in his bed. He was, of course, up with Conner.That is why we wanted to do it. Because they are brothers, they are playmates, they are friends -- and I pray they will always be so close.

5 comments:

Yogi said...

...and it continues to get better!!
and wow, that Micah is growing up lickety-split...I guess the cognitive part especially at this point (in spite of the curiosity & fascination with the poop/pee earlier in the week!) Love you! MOM pfu,wfpy

Anonymous said...

Awww...I love the pictures...especially the one of Joey with the mallet...and them sleeping together in the bunk beds! SOOO fun!

Chelsie Sargent said...

I have added you to my blog- hope that is okay. I have so enjoyed all the stories:)!

Amy said...

Brothers are SO special, there is no doubt! Thanks for documenting the good stuff!

beccadawnruss said...

Hey Rachel!
I'm excited that you got a chance to look at my blog. I told my mom you said, "Hello!" and that you guys were moving here next month. She lives in Burleson too and was happy to hear that good news! I really enjoy your blog. I also got to yours through Heidi's, but I've been reading yours for quite some time. I am using it as inspiration that when our third one gets here in December that it can be done!!! ;) Thanks for the stories about your family. They are truly as blessing to me!
Becca