I made kind of a big deal about it being the last time...but mostly because it is fall now and we just don't usually go swimming in the fall. Conner did finally put it all together and ask if this was the last time we would ever swim at Franco's. I had to tell him yes, it probably was. He was a little upset until I reminded him that our new house in Texas would be close to BooBoo & Yogi's waterpark and Splash Station...
We also went to WalMart today. They had mounds of pumpkins out. Conner was so excited. "Can we get one Mom? Puh-lease?" I had to say no...we would be doing the pumpkin/jack-o-lantern thing at our new house in Texas. "Oh," he said, very matter-of-factly. "Every Halloween is in a new house, huh?" It was all I could do to keep from crying right there in the middle of the pumpkins.
He's right, though. This Halloween will be in Burleson, last Halloween was here on Oakwood, the one before that was on Hwy 59, before that on Galway, and before that on Montclair. I am so tired of moving. So tired. Bret and I have been married for almost 8 years. This is move #8. The cards that have been dealt, the choices we have made, have just meant lots of moves. They have not all been moves to different towns, have not all involved new ministry positions, but they have involved all of our stuff. Move #8 is also a temporary one until we can finish up our fundraising. When that is done, the plan is for move #9 to be into a house that we can stay in for awhile. Oh, how nice that would be!
We moved around quite a bit when I was a kid. My mother tells the story about the last time they told us we were moving. I was finishing up the 3rd grade and, of course, sad to leave all of my friends. She told me that it was okay, I would make new ones. She says it nearly broke her heart when I said, in tears (and I remember saying and feeling this), "What for? We'll just move away from them, too." That was so hard. (By the way, that was the last move Mom and Dad made. They've been there 20 years now, and counting.) Hopefully, the end (or at least a lengthy pause) of our moving is within sight, too...
Now I'm feeling guilty for even saying that. If we are moving to plant churches, to share the gospel with people in the south Ft. Worth area, I guess my prayer shouldn't be to stay put, but should be that we will reach so many people, and those people will reach so many others, and those people will reach so many others, etc... that eventually we will minister ourselves out of a job. Which would mean that we would need to move to another area and start all over again? Aw donkey, my mind is going in circles, I'm getting weary just thinking about it.
Micah didn't get a nap today. I walked back into the living room after laying Joey down, and found Micah on the couch.
He was so tired, he just couldn't make it anymore. I must say, I was a little jealous. But, that meant that we had all three of the brothers asleep by 7:32pm! More packing time tonight...
8 comments:
Oh,Rachel, anyone that move eight times is Superwoman in my book. How do you have the strength to do it? Then again, when you are doing the Lord's work, He gets you through. I think it's important that you can relate to Micah's desire to stay put for a while, and I'm sure the Lord has a plan for that as well. Maybe His plan is to keep you guys still for a while. Maybe His plan is to touch your children's hearts so that they understand why they may be moving so much so they can grow and learn in the process of all the packing and unpacking, the goodbyes and hellos, the familiar and the unfamiliar. No doubt it will only make them stronger, but from a mother's standpoint, I can certainly see why your heart would want to keep them put for a while.
On another note, why is it that your kids seem to fall asleep wherever they are, and mine have never and probably will never do such a thing??!!! Getting them to sleep in the car during trips is a magic trick in itself.
Oh, Amanda. You are too sweet.
And about the kids falling asleep wherever they are...it's actually pretty unusual for us, too. That's only the second time that I can think of that Micah has EVER done it. (I guess I'm just so excited when it happens that I take a picture and tell everyone!) Actually, the reason he didn't get a nap is because for the past couple of weeks, when he does get a nap, we can't get him to bed that night until 9 or 10, and he just ends up keeping Conner up, too...
I'm feeling the "wearies" for you, too...But what a blessing that you already have established friends and an extended family where you are moving! And gotta tell you, "Awww, donkey!" is Meemaw's new favorite saying!
Love you, girl (and guy and guy and guy and guy!) MOM pfu,wpfy
I know all the moving has to be so tiring! I told Brian that when we build our house, I'm moving there and then I'm dying there. I have way too much "stuff" that I "need". Conner's comment in the pumpkins must have been hard for you, but the positives of all this moving...you are teaching your kids flexibility. That's a hard lesson to learn when you're so small, but I bet that they have certain attributes that will serve them weel in their lives - friendly to new people, open to making friends easily and able to roll with the punches (that;s one I have yet to learn well in all my 29 years). I do pray that the moves end for you soon and that you & Bret will fell settled and at peace with where you have landed.
Is Franco's the swimming pool with my favorite frog? If so, can we go swimming just one more time?! (like when I come down there in Oct?!)
bad news Chappotin...if you're flying in Tuesday evening there ain't gonna be no time for frolicking with strange frogs. The Wells Cargo is rolling out by 5 am Wed at the latest! When you're driving with the most experienced personal moving crew in the nation, you gotta bring your A game.
The joys of moving... I can relate to the myriad of emotions (yours and your children's!) The good thing, is that since you know from experience how your children are feeling, you can help them get through this. Plus they are still so young and resilient. Praying for smooth transition...
Aw, donkey! I should arrive @ 2:50pm which leaves plenty of time for the frog and the French Quarter!
Post a Comment