That's what I thought when I woke up this morning. We have soooo been looking forward to this. And then I immediately felt guilty. Why am I so excited to get rid of a kid, to be down to just two? Am I that tired? Surely not. Well, maybe...but it's more than that. It is so good for Conner to get out, stay busy, and be with other kiddos his own age. He's one of those kids that thrives around other children, I think he probably even learns more when learning alongside his peers. He was so excited as we were leaving this morning. I had a hard time getting a picture because he wouldn't stop jumping up and down.
But really, it's even more than that. I've been fighting guilt for not signing Micah up again this year. He loved school last year, and he thrives being around other children, too. It's just not going to work for him to go to preschool this year. Maybe next year when Conner's in (free) public school... As the summer drug (well actually, it flew) on, and I worried about Micah being upset about not getting to stay at school with Conner, I started thinking about what we would do while Conner was at school. The more I thought about it, the more excited I got. I don't get much just-Micah-time. I guess it's one of those middle child things, I don't know. I get lots of cuddle time, reading time, playing time, but it's hardly ever with just him. With Conner at school, Micah and I could do all sorts of things while Josiah takes his naps. Like painting, for instance. Micah loves to paint, but rarely gets to do it. It's just too stressful with everyone around. Since we don't do it much, he's not real good at it (translate = messy), so we don't do it much, so he doesn't get any better at it, so we don't do it much, you get the idea. I've got all kinds of grand plans floating around in my little head.
So really, there's lots of reasons to be excited. Everyone is getting something good out of this deal. And today didn't disappoint. Micah was only a little bit upset when he didn't get to stay at school this morning. It was nothing that a promise of Chick-fil-a didn't quickly fix! We called Bret and he even managed to meet us there. As we drove there, Joey slept and Micah sat in the seat directly behind me (instead of in the opposite back corner where he normally likes to sit), where I could actually hear him talking. We talked about what he wanted a Chick-fil-a, about red lights and green lights, and about Backyardigans. It was so nice to just talk to him without someone else needing something in the middle of it. I thought Micah would be lost on the playground without Conner, but it didn't even phase him. He got his own kid's meal (usually he and Conner share because neither one of them tend to eat much when we're out), his own fruit cup, and even got to get ice cream.
And I can't leave Joey out -- Today he turned six months old! Such a milestone age...
Here's Conner and Micah, respectively, when they turned six months.
6 comments:
I am so glad it was a great day for everyone!! And about those love bugs..oh my goodness, I have never seen anything like that! Wow, how could you see!!!!
CB
Rach- You should feel good about it. I remember being mad when Lydia started school and I had to stay home, but I have some really great memories of things I got to do with Mom that year. I know Micah will have some great memories of this year, too.
Wow! Joey is a spitting image of Conner...at this age at least! And by the way, I love those kinds of days... everyone's happy, quick lunch "out," something new for everyone to talk about... Fall is a great time of year for that! Glad you guys had a good day.
I just love one on one time with kids too! Green beans didn't go over well on our end either but we added a scoop of pears to sweeten and it went down a bit better.
Man - Your boys' eyes couldn't be any prettier!
I gotta say, I share in your preschool emotions as well. It's always a toss-up: send them off to school where they are kept busy and have a BLAST, or keep them home with me and try to enjoy every minute. It's been FABULOUS having some alone time with Rhett now that Grant attends preschool on days I don't teach. And you are correct in that we all win! Grant gets to be around his favorite friends, Rhett gets some much needed one-on-one time with Mommy, and I get some much needed one-on-one time with Rhett. Hooray for preschool! I think you'll be glad you kept Micah home this year!
your boys are just precious!!! and i bet micah will really enjoy getting to spend some (semi)alone time with you!;)
Post a Comment