Monday, June 15, 2009

Off to School

Bret left this morning. Since he was accepted into the Doctor of Ministry program at SMU a little over a month ago, he (and as a result WE) have been hard at work preparing for his first round of classes.

Durng the past six weeks or so, in addition to his normal roles as husband, father, and church planter, Bret has read all or part of at least fourteen books -- about 2000 pages. He's written about 25,000 words. I've lost track of how many papers that was in, but the bulk of it was in a 40+ page journal that he's had to keep.

Today he's started class. He'll be in Dallas Monday-Friday for the next three weeks, spending about five hours/day in class, and the rest of the time reading and writing even more. My brother Ira, who lives in Cedar Hill has been gracious enough to let Bret stay with him during the week, and then he'll be home on the weekends -- with tons to do -- but home, at least.

Getting ready for this has been long and hard for all of us. We don't like having to share our hubby/Daddy that much! These next three weeks of being a single mom promise to be long and hard, too. But the good news is that, when this round of classes is over, there will be ten days of finishing and finalizing papers -- and then he's done. Until the next round of classes in January...

This week has already started off as quite a doozy -- swim lessons in the morning, VBS in the evenings (which means that I haven't gotten anyone in bed until around 10pm the past two nights). Joey has hand-foot-mouth disease, and though he's not nearly as miserable as he could be, or as our little friend Ryan who had it last week, he is certainly uncomfortable and not himself. I'm pretty sure that the big brothers have both had this before, and I'm hoping and praying that they won't get it, too. Let me just say that if I had a rash over my entire body, (it's even some blisters on that poor baby's hands), and sores like that all over the inside of my mouth, I would not be acting nearly as sweet as my Josiah has been! (Sorry if the pics gross you out -- they're for Bret to see, too. He doesn't know what he's missing out on!)

I'm so thankful that Bret was so good to manage his time so well before he left. He was very busy, but he managed to set aside some time for swimming, and we got to go to Going Apes (the bounce house here in town) Saturday night and just hang out as a family. (Thank you Mom, Dad, and Meemaw. You knew just what we needed!)
That was a good time for all of us. I'm so glad we got to do that!

Bret, I am so super-proud of you, babe!

In the meantime, it's off for week two of swim lessons in the morning. We'll see if some one-on-one time in the pool with Daddy helped Micah out any...and we'll see just what I have to do to keep Joey happy and entertained but away from all the other kiddos...

5 comments:

Gammie said...

Poor Joey! Poor, poor Rach! Hang in there Mom!!! We're all praying for you!
Yay for Bounce houses!!! They are the best! So glad y'all got to go!
Let me know when y'all are coming this way.
greatbighugsandkissesloveyouallbunchesandprayinglikecrazyforyouall!me

BooBoo said...

Oh my! I think I might be saying, "Just shoot me!" if I were Joey! I think you definitely have a juggling act before you to keep the big boys in their activities and Joey more or less isolated. But I also see (via Facebook) that you have very attentive, helpful friends there in Burleson. Thanks to you all from the Wellsbrother's Mom's mom!
Glad your times before Bret's departure were so good...Hang on to those good memories, because there'll be more to make in ...now only 2 weeks and 6 days!
Love you! MOM pfu,wpfy

Heidi said...

Those blisters look very familiar... today is the first day that Ryan has even acted interested in food. He has never gone this long without eating. He sure is trying to eat...just not getting much down because it hurts so bad. I hope Joey does not react the same way!

Amy said...

Aww, Rach! What a tough schedule to pull off on your own... but if anybody can do it, YOU CAN!

Amanda Brooke Kilgore said...

How is it that all the "excitement" seems to happen when Dad is gone? That sure is the case in our house! I hope Joey is doing better by now, poor baby!