Sunday, June 21, 2009

A Journey Through Fatherhood

In preparation for a Father's Day slide show at our worship gathering this morning, I've been going through old pictures this past week. I have so many pictures of my family, it's not even funny. So I decided that I would put together a little "Daddies" photo album (on facebook) while I was at it...and before I knew it I had over 80 pictures...and I hadn't even gone through all of them yet!

My original idea was to put all of my favorites here on my blog as a Father's Day post, but obviously, 80 pictures is too many! So I decided to just pick out a few -- maybe not the ones that are necessarily my favorites, but the ones that walk us through Bret's journey of fatherhood. I hate that this means that there's so many pictures of me, but I guess that documenting the growth of your unborn children is one of the many jobs of a father...

So here's to my sweet hubby, the best father I could ever hope for my children to have...

When I was pregnant with Conner, this was the first day that Bret could feel him moving......and this was the day that we realized that my tummy was finally bigger than his! :) Before we knew it, it was time for Conner to arrive,
and Bret was finally officially a Daddy.Being the father of one was nice...but before long we decided that we were ready to add to our family...and we experienced a miscarriage.But God is so incredibly good. He not only grew us in that experience, he did bless us again with the hope of another child.And through all of this, Bret was juggling not only the responsibilites of being a husband, father, and minister, but he was working on his Master's Degree -- and graduated with flying colors.And again, before we knew it, the time had come...for Micah to arrive...and Bret was now the father of two.Being the father of two was fun...but once again, we decided that we would like to add to our family. And Bret again put up with nine long months of a pregnant wife.And before we knew it, the time had come again. It was time for Josiah to arrive...and Bret became the father of three. (I think it hilarious that by the third one, the best picture that we have of just Bret and Joey in the hospital is them sleeping together. Soooo appropriate!!)Being the father of three is nice...


And we kind of think we might like to keep it that way! (I had you going for a minute there, didn't I?!)
Now, as if juggling a family of five and a full-time job wasn't enough, Bret has decided to begin work on his doctorate degree.
I am constantly amazed at how well this man juggles it all. His hard work, his sacrifices, his endeavors to follow the call that God has laid upon his heart, yet provide for his family...

Bret, I am so very thankful for you everyday. God has blessed me beyond measure to be the one alongside you as you journey through this thing called fatherhood. Thank you for sharing your life with me in this way. I love you so much!

4 comments:

BooBoo said...

:)

Gammie said...

ahhhhh! warm fuzzies!

It's all about the Dodd's said...

Rachel, that is too sweet and you are such an amazing Mommy/Wife.

Amanda Brooke Kilgore said...

You TOTALLY had me going for a minute - I admit it. I'm the dork.