Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Swim Lessons

Today was our first day of swim lessons. It was also Micah's first day of swim lessons ever. I was pretty anxious to see how Mr. don't-you-even-think-about-getting-my-face-wet would do...

We've been preparing ourselves. Mr. Ron and Mrs. Debbie have pretty much given us free reign of their swimming pool. Yeah. Awesome!! We've gotten our feet wet, done some kicking, blown some bubbles...more on that coming soon. We've talked about swim lessons and what to expect. An episode of Little Bill (a show on PBS Kids) that came on last week was about swim lessons. We watched that together and talked about it a lot, too. And then we found out that Madison, one of Conner's friends from preschool, would be taking swim lessons at the same time as us. We were pumped and ready to go.
(Conner looks cute, but Micah wouldn't let me take a picture of his first day of swim lessons...)

We hadn't even gotten everyone out of the van, when we saw Madison as they pulled up next to us. She and Conner hugged like long-lost friends, and then they all walked hand-in-hand to the pool.
Weren't the sweet to include Micah? :)

Things started off well -- Conner and Micah both happily went with their teachers, and didn't even look back at me. Micah was a little confused when he went another direction than Conner (Conner was in Level 2, Micah in Level 1), but once he figured out where he was supposed to be, he was fine.

Conner jumped around and did everything he was supposed to, completely at home in the water, a little fish in the making.

Micah liked the steps. He was the last one in the water, but once he figured out that he could touch the bottom, he was okay. Until the teacher wasn't looking and he got back onto the steps. She got him back in and he was fine...until she looked away for a minute, and he got back onto the steps. She got him back in...and then he was back on the steps. You get the idea.

That's Micah on the steps. (Sorry that I had to take the pic from behind the chain link fence...) He likes the steps. That's where he likes to stay at Mr. Ron and Mrs. Debbie's pool, too. My guess is that he just feels safe there.

Once the teacher finally got him to stay in the water for a few minutes at a time, he actually let her take him under the arms and float him around the pool. I was impressed -- he doesn't usually let me do that. I never did see him put his head/face in the water, though. It's possible I missed it -- I was trying to watch Conner too, and Joey was literally climbing the chain link fence that we were behind -- but Micah's hair certainly wasn't wet.

Lessons were almost over when I looked up to see Micah sitting on the side of the pool crying. I didn't know if he was in trouble, if he was scared, if he was hurt, or what had happened. But, as hard as it was, I stayed put and let the teacher take care of it. I knew that if I went out there, it would all be over.

She did manage to get him calmed back down and into the water, just as the two classes were coming together to play "Ring Around the Rosies." I didn't think she was ever going to get him away from that wall, but eventually he came, holding tightly to her hand. But then, as their little circle started to turn, Micah took off toward the middle. His teacher tried to hold on to him, but he broke loose, going straight toward his big brother. Micah broke into the circle, got a hold of Conner's hand, and was suddenly a different kid. He was smiling, he was laughing, he was more comfortable, he was more confident, he was having fun.

He still didn't blow bubbles at the end ("we all blow bubbles" instead of "we all fall down"), but it didn't matter. It was so sweet. I felt incredibly silly as I sat there watching, unchecked tears of pride and love flowing. I'm so thankful that I got to see that moment. I absolutely love that they are not only brothers, but best friends as well. I pray that Joey will get in on that too, and that they will always be that close.

When they got out, after more tears and a few minutes to get the full translation, I discovered that Micah's tears before the Ring Around the Rosies game were not for any of the reasons I had thought. It turns out that he was upset because he hadn't gotten a chance to kick like Little Bill. In the show, Little Bill had held onto the wall, floated on his tummy, and made big splashes while he kicked. Micah had been practicing his "kicking like Little Bill" at Mr. Ron and Mrs. Debbie's pool and was really excited about it, but I had no idea that it was that important! :)

So yes, we swam later in the day, and Micah did his "kicking like Little Bill." I wonder if we'll be able to explain all of that to his teacher tomorrow...

"How good and pleasant it is when brothers live together in unity!" --Psalm 133:1

2 comments:

BooBoo said...

So-o-o-o-o sweet!
Love those boys!
pfu,wpfy

It's all about the Dodd's said...

Madison sure does love Conner and they love being with each other.