Sunday, January 3, 2010

Nothing Like Homemade Apple Pie to Top Off a Great Day!

What a great day today!

The morning started off a little hairy (slept through the alarm clock)...but things could only get better from there. Conner got to go with Bret first thing this morning to a prayer gathering. There only ended up being one other person there (thanks, Chris!), but Conner came home very excited about praying over the city of Burleson. Awesome.

Then we went to our worship gathering, where I was delighted and encouraged to find that so many other people are really enjoying our 40 Days of Scripture and Prayer. (A cool thing that Christ Journey is starting the year off with -- click here for more info...) We also feasted on a fantastic potluck brunch.

When we got home, everyone took naps...

And then Bubba and Uncle Chris came over to watch the kiddos, while Bret and I got to go to Chris and Heidi's for dinner. Once again, the food was fantastic -- Heidi's chicken tacos on Rosa's tortillas, homemade apple pie, and Blue Bell Homemade Vanilla. And the coversation shared in community was much needed, productive, and encouraging.

What a great day today!

...and because several people have asked already, here's the recipe for my apple pie. I will never cease to be amazed at how the simplest recipes are so often the best!

Make-Ahead Apple Pie (A Pampered Chef Recipe):

6 apples, peeled and thinly sliced
1/2-3/4 cup sugar
3 T flour
3/4 t apple pie spice or cinnamon

Mix, divide into two ziplock bags, and freeze. Then when ready, thaw and dump into pie shells. (1 ziplock per pie shell.) Top with Cinnamon Crumb Cake Topping (below), and bake at 400 for 20-25 minutes. (When this recipe was given to me, it was suggested to make up a batch or two at the beginning of the holidays. Then I would have a quick and easy dessert to throw together for those last minute holiday get-togethers.)

Cinnamon Crumb Cake Topping:

2 c flour
1 c sugar
4 t cinnamon
1 c margarine

Blend together flour, sugar, and cinnamon. Mix in margarine until mixture is crumbly but moist. (This makes enough for two pies.)

Yummmmmy! (Heidi and Lydia -- I was only making one pie today, so I only cut up three apples. Then I forgot that I was making a half-recipe and put the full amount of sugar, cinnamon, and flour in. Oops. Maybe that's why it was so good! :)

post signature

4 comments:

Heidi said...

Thanks for sharing....I am going to write it down and keep it the way you made it...it was SO good! Did you cut the topping in half or make it like it calls for?

Rachel said...

I'm SO glad you liked it -- and that you guys helped us eat it so that I didn't eat the whole thing myself! :) And I did only make a half-recipe of the topping...

Bonnie said...

So glad your day was a blessed one...and, yes, I'll be adding that recipe to my collection!

Chris Chappotin said...

Holy cow...the greatest apple pie ever!