Friday, July 24, 2009

He Speaks

I have recently entered into a season of Spiritual Discernment with a few other people, regarding some very specific issues. We've reached a crossroad in some areas, have an opportunity to re-think some strategies, and have been given a chance to dream again.

I know, I know -- I'm sure several of you are saying, "Spiritual Discern-what? What in the world is that? I mean, it sounds good...but how in the world does a person go about doing something like that." I know you're thinking it because I was too a few months ago.

But then my much wiser and more learned husband walked me through the process. We sat down with some friends, came up with a specific question that we wanted God to answer, and came up with some very specific spiritual disciplines that we participated in over the next week -- all the while intentionally listening to God for an answer. Some of the things we did together, some of them we all did, but each at his own time and place -- together but apart.

And let me just tell you that it ended up being of the most powerful spirtual experiences I've been through. Four of us started the week off with some pretty differing opinions as to the best answer to our question. But after a week of being in communion with God and one another, we ended on the same note. Without talking about it a whole lot during the week or sharing too many specifics -- just enough to be in communication and encourage one another to keep pressing on -- we all ended on the same note. We were each able to revel in an amazing and overwhelming sense of satisfaction and peace with the decision that was made. There was no doubt that it was what God was calling us to do.

So we are trying this again. This time with a different group of people, regarding a different question -- but all the while listening to God with a discerning ear. I was so encouraged by our initial meeting, excited about the process that we came up with, and look forward to participating in something like this with some new people.

So far this week has been really good. I've participated in some creative spiritual disciplines, uniquely tailored to suit our purposes. And as a result I've had some amazing communion with God. I can't wait to see the end result of this process. I'm not sure what it will be, but there's no doubt that it will have God's fingerprints all over it.

I just thought I'd share one of the first things that I stumbled upon, that's grounded me during this first week of spiritual discernment:

"I ask -- ask the God of our Master, Jesus Christ, the God of glory -- to make you intelligent and discerning in knowing him personally, your eyes focused and clear, so that you can see exactly what it is he is calling you to do, grasp the imensity of this glorious way of life he has for his followers, oh, the utter extravagance of his work in us who trust him -- endless energy, boundless strength!" --Ephesians 1:15-19, The Message

That's been my prayer this week, and I see, feel, hear, and know that it is beginning to be answered. God speaks. And it is good.

post signature

3 comments:

Heidi said...

Amen!

Lee and Michelle said...

sounds like a wonderfully exciting process, Just love the spiritual intimacy going on, it always amazes me how creatively God works in our lives, I'd love to hear more!

Rachel said...

Michelle, I'm sure I will be posting more...it's been really, raelly good so far, and we've still got three weeks to go!