Thursday's adventure was my first trip to WalMart with all three boys. When I found myself standing in the middle of the shoe aisle with Josiah crying, Conner lying on the floor throwing a fit, and Micah crying and fighting me as I was trying to see if a shoe fit, I felt like I was in more of a nightmare than an adventure, though!
Yesterday's adventure was a tough one, too. We had to have Conner's two front teeth pulled. After he fell and hurt them a few weeks ago (which, we have since learned, is called a tooth luxation), the dentist had told us that they might abscess. She told us what to look for and said to bring him back in if we noticed anything. Conner's gums started looking suspicious Thursday evening, and we decided to go ahead and take him in yesterday since the weekend was coming up -- better to be safe than sorry. After an exam and xrays, we were told that his teeth definitely were not tightening up like we had hoped and one of them was starting to deteriorate. Basically the two front teeth were not healthy and the tissue around them was in pretty bad shape. There is a third tooth that is not quite as bad off that we are watchimg. The dentist said that if it were her child, she would go ahead and have the two removed and explained what that entailed. Then, as the tears that had been welling up started to spill over, I told them to pull my baby's front teeth.
The "that blows my brains up" face:
Being a mom is so hard! You want the very best for your children, want them to be safe and happy and healthy. Of course I wanted them to pull the teeth if that's what needed to happen. But did I want them to pull the teeth? NO! He will be missing his two front teeth for years now! Will his friends make fun of him? Will he be self conscious about it? Will he eventually be able to eat things like pizza, corn dogs, apples, corn on the cob? (I could go on, but I won't...) I fought the tears the whole time he was having the work done, worrying about him and feeling guilty, but then when he a did so well and ended up so excited -- was telling Bible stories while having his teeth pulled! -- I fought the tears because I was so relieved and proud. And then when he discovered what the tooth fairy left...gosh, it's crazy how you can love your children so much that it really physically hurts sometimes. I am so thankful that I been blessed with this opportunity to hurt!
...and not to leave them out, here's what Micah and Joey were up to yesterday.
Micah played in Daddy's boots:
Joey was working real hard on finding his thumb, and actually caught it a few times:
1 comment:
I am so sorry, Rachel. Being a mommy is like wearing your heart on the outside of your body....it is so wonderful so many times and SO hard sometimes...you are in my prayers!!
Post a Comment