I was tagged again -- this time by Carrie B. I'm supposed to come up with three random things about myself. Let's see...
1. It drives me crazy to serve my family a meal that is all the same color, or even in the same color family. For example, if we have grilled chicken and bread, the vegetable cannot be corn, any kind of baked beans (like pintos or black-eyed peas), potatoes, or anything else that is brown/yellow. This is especially bad if the plate is white or in the same color family, too. The vegetables are where we get most of our color, since most meats and breads are the same color. Therefore, we eat lots of salad, green beans, and broccoli. Frozen mixed veggies are good, too -- they have lots of colors. For a long time, I couldn't figure out why I always had this overwhelming urge to put green beans with everything. Then I heard my mother say that the color thing is why she always puts something green with a meal, and it all clicked. Since then, I have gotten blue plates, and that helps a lot. It always makes me feel like I'm such a good wife/mommy when I have a pretty, colorful meal for my family -- even if the colors are brown chicken nuggets, orange mac & cheese, and green jello! Oh, and by the way, as I'm typing this, I'm realizing that I never notice if the meal that someone else serves me has all the right colors -- it seems to be a standard I apply only to myself. Weird, I know, but at least I come by it honestly...
2. I rarely sort my laundry. I just go through the house, grab stuff that needs to be washed, and wash it. New clothes -- especially red ones -- usually get washed by themselves, but other than that it's a free-for-all. And speaking of laundry, I hate ironing. I don't do it. When shopping, if it looks like it will have to be ironed, I won't even try it on.
3. I am a menu shopper. I try to go "big" grocery shopping only once every two weeks, and then try not to go back to the grocery store unless it is for bread or milk. I sit down and figure out what we will be eating for the next two weeks, make a list of everything I will need, along with anything else we're getting low on, and add it to my standard what-I-get-everytime-I-go-grocery-shopping-list. This usually means that we have lots of fresh fruit and vegetables the first week, and then rely on canned and frozen the second week...but it works for us. It saves us money, too, because it seems that every time I walk into the grocery store I get more than I planned, therefore spending more than I planned.
2 comments:
It was good to see you at the wedding. I can't believe it had been 6 years since we were all together.
You inspired me to start a blog and it has been fun and good for my kids.
Check it out...
imgoingbacktocollege.blogspot.com
It's not as cool as your but I'm trying.
I SO do that when I'm cooking! It doesn't always work out with our day-to-day meals since our budget is so tight right now and the boys are kinda picky about their veggies. But FOR SURE when I'm entertaining, my meal will be "pretty" with as many bright colors as possible! My mom taught me that... she is a "Family and Consumer Sciences" (formerly known as Homec) teacher!
Post a Comment