We always go to church in two vehicles on Sunday morning. Bret, being the preacher/pastor, needs to get there pretty early. I don't get there until just in time for class to start (or a little later!). We usually let one of the boys ride home from church with him, unless he ends up staying late talking with people. Our Sunday morning routine has been thrown off for the past six weeks or so because I haven't been going with the baby. So, last Sunday was really special because we were getting back into the routine of things, and Micah got to be first.
After I got Micah down for a nap, I ended up falling asleep with Joey. Conner and Bret had stayed outside a little longer, and then decided to go run errands while Mommy and the babies were asleep. Conner has finally gotten big enough that he can be pretty fun to take on a few quick errands -- especially if you make it out to be really special. He and Bret seemed to have a really good time.
Both boys kind of became Daddy's boys for the rest of the evening and the next day. I guess it was really good for them both to get to spend some one-on-one time with Bret completely away from everyone else -- things have been pretty crazy around here lately. You could tell that it totally broke Bret's heart! :) He's a really good, proud Daddy.
It made me remember how much fun we used to have riding in the truck with my dad, only we didn't usually run errands. We got to go feed the cows with him, and that usually meant that we got to ride in the back (before it was outlawed). I think I will always fondly look back on checking the cows with my Daddy and my PeePaw.
Then I started thinking about how we have to be so intentional about enjoying our kids at this age. Riding in Daddy's truck won't always be the coolest thing ever, and before long Daddy's music will probably be much less than cool. It made me a little sad to think about leaving from church, Bret offering to let someone ride with him, and no one getting excited that they got to -- or getting really upset because they didn't get to. And then I started getting choked up as I remembered times that, as a teenager, Dad would ask if anyone wanted to ride with him and no one did. Gosh, Dad, I'm so sorry. I would so ride to church with you next time if I could.
Daddies are so special. I am so thankful that I've been blessed to have MY Daddy -- and my PeePaw, too. You taught me what to look for as I chose a mate who would my children's Daddy. Thank you for teaching me so well.
On a side note...everyone wants to see wedding pictures. Sorry! I don't have any yet! I promise I will post them when I get them. The big thing everyone wants to see is the infant in the tux -- sorry, Lydia! :) Here's pictures of us trying the tux on him:
Yes, the pants are folled a few times...
5 comments:
Cool idea! Where do you get the recipe for the paint?
We call Daddy days the ones where Kaden wants absolutely nothing to do with Mom and Dad Has to do EVERYTHING. Thos days are the best!
(Those are the days he gets to ride the motorcycle with Daddy!)
Sidewalk Paint (from Family Fun magazine):
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup cornstarch
a few drops of food coloring
too easy!
Ok, just call me a bad friend! I'm so sorry that I haven't wrote in a while, I've been wounding how you all are doing. So tell me how are 3 kids?
I love the paint idea, being in a apt. I don't think we could do this on the side walk, but we could do this on our porch.
Cute Cute pictures of the boys, I'm missing the flowers.
Good grief, Jeremy, a motorcycle?!!!
Macey, oh my gosh, I know you've been so busy. I'm sorry I haven't checked to see how NC is! Three kiddos really isn't too bad, not a whole lot different than two. There's still always a least one of them needing something, often at the same time, but the big brothers know that they just have to wait their turn sometimes, and Josiah is learning. The two hardest things are intervening in a fight while nursing the baby and fitting all three of them in my lap at the same time! Well, that and getting through the parking lot from the car to the door of wherever we're going without being a nervous wreck. Everyone does soooo good most of the time, but I kind of freak out knowing that all it takes is once.
Post a Comment