Friday, February 27, 2009

The Big 3-0

That’s right, today was my birthday. I am 30. And I have to say, though it was certainly a crazy and busy day, all my boys did a great job making it fun and special.

To start things off, Bret let me sleep through my alarm and got up with the early-risers. I wouldn’t exactly call it sleeping in – I still got up and got a shower before he left at 7:45…but I certainly got to sleep later than planned!

Then Micah gave me a pink ball (pink because I am a girl…it was one that he had gotten out of a quarter machine a few days before…), Conner informed me of a surprise that I would get later that started with a “c” and ended with an “e”, and Joey made a huge mess of his breakfast. Cereal and blueberry pancakes smeared in his hair. Yuck. Bret made arrangements for babysitters next week and promised to take me shopping. Yippee!

Then Conner told me that we needed party games since today was a birthday party. We should start off with pin-the-tail-on-the-donkey. Luckily we had some poster board. I got the big brothers started drawing a donkey while I went to lay Joey down for a morning nap. But just a few minutes into it, I had to come referee.
Apparently Micah was not drawing up to Conner’s standards, Conner had flipped the poster over and begun his own, and Micah was understandably mad.

So we put the donkey poster up for awhile and got out some sewing cards and beads – a special treat that they only get to play with when Joey is asleep. (The beads are perfect choking size.) I went in the other room to check my email right quick, and heard whispers of, “Don’t tell Mom,” and “Mom is gonna like this so much.” It turns out that they had made me a necklace. It was beautiful, I wore it all morning. (They were not really beads intended for jewelry, and got pretty heavy...)Not long after that we went to lunch at a pizza place with the Chappotins. It was technically a business lunch, but anytime there’s a birthday, it always turns into a party, doesn’t it? Bret had done some sneaking last night and gotten 30 cookies (and even a cute platter to put them on!) to the Chappotins for them to bring so that it could be a surprise. They were Lofthouse cookies, some of my favorites -- even better than a cake! Good job, babe – and I’m still a little in shock over the platter! It turns out that Connner was in on the secret and did a good job keeping it. A CookiE was my surprise.

After we got home it was time to get back to business – naps, dinner, etc… (Yes, I made dinner instead of going out. When three preschoolers are involved, some days that's just so much easier! I made it easy on myself -- just stuck a roast in the crock pot this morning. And then had a little bit of time so splurged on some homemade mashed potatoes. Joey loved them, ate so many he wasn't even interested in a cookie for dessert!)My sweet hubby even washed all those nasty dishes!

It was such a good day – a very normal one, yet so special. This day that is so hard for so many people was really pretty fun for me.

Oh, and we did get back to pin-the-tail-on-the-donkey at some point. Conner didn't want to make a tail out of paper, though. He wanted to just find something that we could use. His first idea was a cough drop. (Yes, a cough drop. I don't know...totally random!) Then when we got one out and he saw that it wasn't brown to match his donkey, he decided that we needed to come up with something else. Hmmm...how about band-aids? Sounds good to me -- they even have built-in sticky!
Looks like Conner won!

Thanks to all my boys for making it so special. Thirty doesn’t look so bad if I get to spend it being the girl in your lives.

**Update - I had surprise visitors last night, too. They were bearing gifts of Bath and Body Works, cheesecake and a toffee nut latte with whip. Yum-my! Thanks, girls. I'm so blessed to have such good friends after being here for only five months. If being 30 means being treated like a queen everytime you turn around, bring it on!!

And Tiffany, my sister-in-law wrote a sweet little post kind of about me: Happy Birthday, Rachel! (And while you're there you should read her post "Glad I'm Emotionally Stable," especially if you are or have ever been pregnant...funny stuff!)

7 comments:

Heather said...

I'm glad you had such a wonderful day. What a blessing to have all the many "gifts" in your life - not only on your birthday, but everyday! Happy 30th Rachel!!

Heidi said...

I am glad you had a great 30th!

Gammie said...

Happy Birthday!!!!! They just get better from here!
love you, me

Amanda Brooke Kilgore said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Amanda Brooke Kilgore said...

Happy birhday, Rachel. Sounds like you got the best gift of all: sleeping in!!

CB said...

So glad you had a great birthday! How creative of Connor with the band-aids, I am so impressed! Great idea! I am also so glad that some sweet friends brought you a coffee and some fun!! Sounds like some girls I would like to hang out with too!! Have you really been there five months???? That is too crazy!! Happy Late B-day!!
Love,
Carrie

Hollie said...

Sorry just know posting a comment. HAPPY BELATED 30 BIRTHDAY! Looks like your day was full of blessings! Thanks for sharing your special day with us!