Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Spiderman Sandwiches

We went to the park this morning. You know, there could be acres of playground equipment, costing thousands upon thousands of dollars, and my boys would still do nothing but sit and play with rocks! They pile them, they fill up cups and dump them, they pile them on the slide and then slide through them, they throw them at one another... So far neither one of them has been too bad about eating them. (That I know of, anyway!)

Micah has accomplished some major milestones in his independence on the playground this trip. He was so very proud of himself that he climbed the rock wall all by himself.
And, as always, Joey was quite content to just sit in Booboo's lap and watch... Then the squabbles started coming a little too often, and I decided I should try to get them to eat something. "Micah, do you want your big one peanut butter and jelly sandwich?"
"No. Want a Minee Man (Spiderman) Sandwich."
"Hmmm...a spiderman sandwich. I'll see what I can do." I borrowed Bret's pocket knife and carved a web (I tried, anyway) into the top.
"Micah, come look. Spiderman shot a web on your sandwich!" He came running -- this was quite possibly the best thing that could have happened to him this morning. It was gone in about three minutes!

It works so much better when I've got the energy and couple of minutes to be creative. I got Cool Mom points, and Micah ate his lunch without incident. I'm afraid it would not have been quite as happy of an ending if I had just said, "Sorry. No spiderman sandwiches. You'll just have to eat what we've got..." (That does happen a lot, too.)

And then we ended the day having dinner with some old friends. It was not quite what we thought we were going to be doing this Tuesday night, but it was really good all the same. Bret and I got to share our dreams a little, we got caught up, and we of course laughed a lot. It is so good to have old friends that you can pick up with where you left off!

2 comments:

Amy said...

Cool mom points for sure! How creative! I'm the one who always says, "if you wanna eat, you'll eat what I fixed!" I guess it doesn't hurt to play with the situation a little bit!

Thanks for your concern for our legal matters. It's getting crazier and crazier, but I feel confident God is in control of it all. We appreciate your prayers and continue to pray for you guys too. Let us know if there are specifics we can be praying for!

Amanda Brooke Kilgore said...

Oh, you were TOTALLY meant to be the mother of boys if you can pull off a Spiderman sandwich at the drop of a hat. I love your comments about how the boys play with the rocks instead of the equiptment at the park. Gotta love 'em. Your children will surely rise up and call you blessed (and cool).

Sounds like you guys are going through a bit of a prickly patch. (Can you tell I'm from Texas???)It's so hard to be a mom and wife sometimes while going through a rough spot, or so I've found, because instead of being able to fix your needs, you are busy meeting everyone else's needs first. It's hard to put yourself last sometimes. On the other hand, having a family during difficult times can be a blessing as they tend to keep you busy so you don't have time to dwell on what is really upsetting you. No matter what your day brings you though, God loves you and has the perfect plan in mind for you and your sweet family. I pray things will get easier for you guys and you will feel the peace of the Lord surrounding you.