And the markers... No one marker can be used twice. Once he is finished with one marker, he lays it on the table and gets another one out. They usually end up in a neat little row...until Micah gets into them, that is! Conner likes crayons, too, but markers are what he truly prefers.
With the paper everywhere (especially after he and Micah have squabbled over it) and the markers everywhere (especially after he and Micah have squabbled over them) and the books that he is coloring in or copying from everywhere (especially after he and Micah have squabbled over them), it's like he's made a comfortable little nest for himself.
He is always very proud of his work. His favorites go on the fridge, or on the counter top by the coffee pot for Daddy to take to his office with him in the morning. Each picture is truly a gift from his sweet little 4 1/2 year old heart.
The bad thing is that there are so many, so many, so many pieces of paper! There is no way that we could keep them all -- and not much need, either. I don't anticipate going through boxes upon boxes upon boxes of old artwork when he's 32. (I hope to be playing with grandkids instead!) So most of them go in the trash. Gosh, confessing that makes me feel so guilty, so mean, like the worst mother ever. (And while I'm confessing things that make me feel guilty, let me just say that the constant mess gets a little old, too...) I do sometimes mail a few to his grandparents and great-grandparents (though not nearly as often as I should...stamps would be eating my lunch!) My very favorites go in a file to keep, his favorites stay on the fridge for a day or two until they have to go away to make room for more. It's a daily thing, as I clean the kitchen and load the dishwasher before I go to bed, I throw away Conner's art. I never throw them away when he's around, and I always fold them over in the trashcan so that he won't accidentally see them the next morning. But I know that the day will come that he will wake up in the morning, pull out his markers, and realize that the art from the day before is gone. And I will have to confess. And he will be upset or mad. And I will feel like the scum of the earth. I hope that day is very far away.
Here's one of my favorite drawings from today. It's a village.
4 comments:
oh, wow! nesting comes naturally. I would send you a picture of your daddy's nest or my nest, but the picture today would not do it justice. Lydia came and straightened up and made a bit of a rhyme to our non-reasoning before Meemaw came to live with us about 10 days ago.
Not being able to keep everything our children produce is a common guilt among mothers, though. Because everything about our children is precious...even poop & dirty laundry (yes, disgusting...but precious because it means they're healthy and happy...although I have to admit I've never wanted to KEEP poop)...You, Rachel, are doing a marvelous job of chronicling (sp?) your children's sweet (and sometimes bittersweet) moments and your love for them and your family reverberates ever-so-loudly-yet-sweetly between each and every typed character & picture. Love you, angel! MOM pfu,wpfy
Rach,
As usual you should listen to your mother because she's right!
I'm proud of you. And let me be the first (I think) to comment on your wonderfully green blog template...good job!
The mess would drive me crazy! I really have to work on that with my kids! So kudos on letting Conner express himself in that way... and just dealing with the nest!
I too have become a pro at throwing things away and making sure they are well hidden in the trash can. However, I have NOT managed to throw away ANY work Jonathan did in Kindergarten or 1st grade! What a pile has amassed in his room!!
Mom, I'm afraid I have at times kept the dirty (and sometimes poopy!) laundry around too long...but not because I WANTED to keep it! :) I'm glad to know it's a common struggle.
Bret, it's "growing" on me! :) Glad you like it.
Amy, one thing that helps me deal with the nest is lack of time (and sometimes energy) to do anything about it...
Post a Comment