So I was sitting in the rocking chair in the living room this afternoon, giving Josiah a bottle. Conner and Micah were playing in their room...and then I heard the scream. It was Conner, and I could tell that he was hurt -- bad enough that he was a little panicked. He made it to me in the rocking chair before I made it to him, and I was relieved that there was no blood obviously spurting from anything. "Mommy," he said through the sobs, "I fell on the tile floor and bumped my head -- but it's okay 'cause none of my teeth fell out." (The last time he fell hard on our ceramic tile floor, he ended up loosing two teeth -- click here for "Conner's Thweet Thmile" and "Yesterday's Adventure.") I looked quickly and, unable to discern the exact site of the injury, decided that he must not have really hit it that hard, he was just a little freaked out and scared. Hug, hug, kiss, kiss, sob, sob...
"Okay, now can you show me where you hit your head?" I asked. He rubbed the very top of his head. Hmmmm...
"How did you hit your head there?"
"The floor was wet and I slipped."
I immediately thought of Micah walking down the hall the other day, underwear dripping. He stopped and very matter-of-factly said to me, "I go tee tee on the floor. It vewy swippawee (slippery)." And then he went on. I looked up at Micah, who had joined us and realized that, once again, his underwear was very wet.
Okay...Joey, it looks like you're just going to have to wait a few minutes to finish this bottle. I went to get some ice in a Boo Boo Bunny for Conner's head. He freaked out, insisting that ice was too cold. He wanted to hold a water bottle on his head instead. Knowing that the water bottle would not conform to the top of his head very easily, I talked him into using some frozen peas. (Now these peas are ones that we keep specifically for injuries. They are old and have been thawed and frozen and thawed and frozen and thawed and frozen who knows how many times for how many years.) I got Conner calmed down and situated in the rocking chair, Joey was chilling in the walker, and Micah and I went to take care of his business.
After I got Micah and the floor cleaned up, we walked back into the living room to find Conner, miraculously recovered, eating the peas! "Oh, Conner, are those good?"
"Yeah, I'm eating them."
"I see that. Can I get you some other peas that are a little better for eating?"
"As long as they're still frozen, Mom. I like them cold."
He ate three bowls and asked for a fourth (and Micah, wanting to be just like Conner of course, ate a couple of bowls himself) before I stopped them in the name of saving room for dinner...and I was informed that the next time we had peas for dinner he would like his to be frozen.
The kicker: when I offered Oreos for dessert, Conner said, "No thanks. I just want some more frozen peas." He ate two more bowls before he heard the Oreos calling his name!
8 comments:
LOVE this story! I can not only picture the whole thing, but "hear" most of it as well. What precious boys you have. GREAT title to this post, by the way!
Ok, only your kids would ask for veggies... yuck!
Hey, who needs to pay for entertainment? Certainly not you!
MOM pfu,wpfy
That was the best laugh I've had in days! Poor Conner-bug, I'm glad he recovered quickly. You really capture the moments for all of us to share. What fun it is to have little ones in the house! I'm so happy to hear that no teeth fell out this time. Who would have guessed frozen peas were good to eat... It would be Conner and his shadow to think of this, hahaha). Only Josiah would be patient thru all of that. giveemhugsandkissesandaiddybiddyone
too!loveya, me
Pee is very slippery - You're right Micah! Don't you love big family choas! THere's always something exciting going on.
Maybe I can get Torie to like peas if they're frozen. She doesn't like grapes unless they're frozen...might as well give it a try!! Thanks for sharing your funny stories....
and i though i liked vegetables... you told that story really well...you know - you got all the details in without having to go back and say, "by the way, those peas conner was eating were probably rancid." good job. i'm with amanda, that was a really good title, too. see ya'll on thursday! ... and i have to admit. i'm a little curious about frozen peas now... ha!
What an amazing story! One I'll have to share with Jon... sometimes we sit and read your blog together and laugh at the tales of the Wells household!!
Post a Comment