- I had to take Conner, who had already had to have an attitude talk on the way to church this morning, out for -- you guessed it, a bad attitude. As we were walking out he was screaming, "No, Mommy, no! Don't take me out and spank me!"
- Micah, who slipped out of Bubba's reach too quickly, ran after us screaming, "I wont my mama!"
- Dad followed us out to get Micah.
- About that time Mom had to take Joey out because he was crying.
- Dad brought Micah back in.
- I brought Conner, still teary, back in.
- Mom brought Joey, who was asleep, back in.
- Joey woke up and started fussing again.
- Micah started getting really fidgety. When it got to the point that I was about ready to hang him from the pew by his toes, I took him out thinking that it might be time for a potty break.
- Conner suddenly needed to go potty, "right now! Hurry!" Bubba hurried out with him -- or at least tried to. He suddenly had to walk very slowly because he was reading her Bible as he was walking.
- I brought Micah, who started jumping like a frog as soon as I opened the door, back in.
- Bubba brought Conner back in.
- Joey started stinking everything up and Aunt Jodi took him out for a diaper change.
...and then church was over. Phew! After church, there were several comments like, "My, Rachel, you've got your hands full," or "I don't know how you do it when you're by yourself, Rachel." Then answer is: I don't. We don't have the luxury of early service at home -- but we do have the luxury of an attended nursery and Kid's Worship during the worship service that we attend. (Granbury does have those things, too -- they're just in the late service, though, where the normal parents of young children are!) I'm so glad for my wonderfully helpful family, and our patient friends who were so sweet to at least say that they enjoyed the entertainment...
And on I side note, I have to brag on Conner, too. After I brought him back in from his attitude talk, he did so good. I wasn't sitting next to him, though, to whisper those words of encouragement and thanks. It suddenly occurred to me that I could write him a note -- and he could probably read it.
Bless his sweet heart, he not only read it all by himself, he wrote me this note back. "Thank yo Mom"
I don't know...it may be bad that I'm already passing notes in church with my 4 year old son...but it just about brought me to tears.
The day wasn't all crazy and teary, though. MeeMaw slipped Joey a little bit of ice cream -- which he was totally unappreciative of!
And, when it had finally "cooled off" to something like 102 around 6pm, the big brothers got to swim in the front yard and eat some watermelon. Sunday, Sunday, I never know what you're gonna have in store for me...
2 comments:
Hi Rachel,
It's Alyson Pennington Reves. Saw your blog off of Amanda's blog. Your family is looking beautiful. I'm so happy for you. We have a boy on the way. Glad to see you are doing well.
Good holy cow! Connor can read all of those words and write back??!!! Man, I feel like Grant is waaaaay behind. On a side note, It's comforting to know I'm not the only "busy mom" in church.
Post a Comment