Wednesday, August 27, 2008

But Gustav, Preschool Starts Next Week!

Conner's preschool starts next week, so today was Meet the Teacher. Conner got a letter from Mrs. Amy and Mrs. Kendra a couple of weeks ago and he's been really excited ever since. He wanted to draw pictures for them this morning before we went. When he finished, he looked at me, very concerned. "But Mommy, how will I know which one is Mrs. Amy and which one is Mrs. Kendra?" I guess I hadn't done a very good job of explaining what was going to happen today... We got it cleared up and were on our way.

I already knew the teachers from my few months of teaching at the school last year. We're totally excited. Conner got to meet all of his new friends, too. It was good to meet everyone, see the classroom, etc. but I've gotta tell you -- those classrooms and halls just were not made for that many people all at once. Add my huge double stroller into the mix...well, you get the picture. We made it through just fine, the brothers were all very well behaved, but I was so glad when it was over!

It was good to see Carrie and Angela there with their kiddos. Angela was even good enough to take a picture of the TOCC boys. (She was the only one of us there with only one kid...maybe that's why she had the energy to do it?!)Conner, Evan, and Ben were all so excited that there was no way they were all going to look at the camera at the same time! I think this picture is pretty good, all things considered. Oh, and you have to notice Conner's new shoes. He was really excited about wearing them today.

Hopefully, the Lord willing, Wednesday will be the first day of school. Gustav is ominously looming in the distance, though. Governor Jindal has declared Louisiana in a state of emergency. Evacuations are expected to begin Friday morning. I'm doing my best not to freak out here, but there' are so many people saying that it looks and feels just like Katrina -- nearly down to the day of the month. (Friday is the three-year-anniversary.) A flurry of activity is beginning as folks prepare to either evacuate or hunker down and sit through it. I heard WalMart ran out of diapers tonight...

We were planning to leave early tomorrow morning anyway. We have a fund raising dinner in San Antonio Friday night. The plan was to return on Monday and start school on Wednesday. It's looking as though we may be staying with Gammie a few extra days, though... We're very anxious and are praying hard, but must be responsible and leave in the morning as though we are evacuating... Gustav, just chill, would ya? Conner wants to start school next week, and folks around here (including ME) aren't wanting to deal with another hurricane!

2 comments:

Amy said...

Shows you how self-consumed I have been. I haven't seen any news in weeks.... had no idea Gustav was big threat. We'll be praying for you guys!

Amanda Brooke Kilgore said...

I sure thought about you guys when I heard that our dear friend Gustav was making his way towards Louisiana. Praying it misses you guys by a long shot! Glad to hear you are leaving town just to be safe. Don't forget to pack the softie/Fred/blankies!