Thursday, August 7, 2008

Bobbing and Jellyfish Floats

Okay...this is a post I've been working on since Tuesday...I'm just now able to get it posted, but there's still no pictures...

Conner is taking swimming lessons this week while we’re here at Yogi and Booboo’s. It’s a two week class, but it costs about 1/5 of the cheapest classes I could find at home…we thought it would be totally worth it even if he only gets to do one week of it!

Oakdale Park, where the pool is located, has been in Glen Rose just about as long as the dinosaur tracks. (I’m afraid it kind of looks that way, too…) But we love it because, when we were growing up, this is one of the places where we learned to swim.

So far, this class has been much less focused on learning the steps involved in mastering the American Crawl and much more focused on some survival-type skills. So far Conner has reviewed the Prone Glide and the Bob, and added to his repertoire of “swimming tricks” the Superman Swim, Dead Man’s Float, and Jellyfish Float. It’s kind of hard to tell, but they’re bobbing across the pool here. Conner thinks it’s totally cool that he can touch the bottom in the big part of the pool!

After Conner’s class, the pool opens to the public, and we stay for a little while so that Micah can swim, too. Yesterday Uncle Robert joined us, and today Booboo and I wore our suits and got in for a little while. (Nope, you will be seeing no pictures of the adults in the swimsuits!) The pool is actually shallow enough that Micah can touch the bottom in the “big part,” but he didn’t want to have much to do with that – he’s way too nervous. He was perfectly happy playing in the kiddie pool and talking to Conner and the other kiddos under the wall.

Joey was perfectly happy sitting in Booboo’s lap and splashing.

Tomorrow Bubba and Uncle Chris plan to join us…and I’m sure Conner will have some new “swimming tricks” to show off, too!

**And a ps to my blogging buddies: I’ve been keeping up with you guys, I just can’t get any comments posted. We should be back in business next week when we get home…

No comments: