Thursday, April 7, 2011

Don't Drink the Lemonade!

So...I hear via facebook that many of you have dealt with children who are sleepwalkers. It's never been an issue for our kids, and it's not something that Bret or I deal with...but we got a taste of it last night. And it sounds like our fridge is not alone, there are many pantrys, closets, toy boxes, carpets, etc that share it's dark secret...

I had done something very strange last night and gone to bed early. The next thing I knew, Bret was waking me up, telling me that one of the boys had wandered into the living room, barely awake and very confused. There were several attempts at conversation, which led Bret to believe that he needed to go potty and needed a drink of water. So when the confused and apparently not-really-awake child wandered into the kitchen and opened the refrigerator door, there was no cause for alarm.

...until he dropped his drawers and began to "go potty" into the refrigerator! At this point it was obvious that the child was sleepwalking and really had no idea what he was doing. Getting mad would be pointless, perhaps even frightening. So Bret tried, unsuccessfully, to get him to stop. When he was finished, he pulled up his britches and went straight back to bed, completely unaware that anything out of the ordinary had happened.

And Bret, bless his heart, cleaned it all up before he woke me up to tell me - pulled out the drawers and everything! This morning we asked the said child about getting up to go potty during the night, and he still really has absolutely no idea. So we decided not to tell him, to save that piece of information for sometime in the future (when we need some blackmail! :)

So as I prepare for bed tonight, I'm wondering if this or something similar will happen again. I'm sure I'll somehow be strangely grateful next time I wake up to wet sheets and a couple of loads of laundry to do! And I'm wondering what would have happened if Bret had not witnessed the event, if I would have ever figured out what the mystery puddle in the fridge was...and if it's ever happened before...

post signature

2 comments:

Lydia said...

ooooohhhhh! So we don't tell him! LOVE it! ;)

Tiffany said...

i hadn't thought about the fact that it could have happened before....