Thursday, September 23, 2010

Cowboy Joe

Joey has been really into his cowboy hat and stick horse this week. It seems he's always got one or the other, both - or is fighting with his brothers over one of them. I've really been enjoying him this week (except for the fighting!), it's been a cute little phase. He's even been calling everyone "partner" - or in Joey-speak with no r's, "paht-nah."

Yesterday we were getting ready for school, and the next thing I knew Joey was marching through the house naked - except for his cowboy hat and stick horse - singing "I may never march in the infantry." It was enough to make me stop and laugh, even in the midst of the busyness and crazyness of a school morning.

A little while later, while we were dropping Micah off at preschool, one of Horsie's eyes fell off. It was quite traumatic, and he showed everyone at the school. Somewhere along the way (I think maybe after a suggestion from one of the other parents), he decided that he didn't need me to fix poor Horsie after all - Horsie needed to become a pirate!

Joey stays with Aunt Jodi and Uncle Robert on Wednesday mornings, so poor Aunt Jodi got the task of making Horsie a pirate...but I think she did a marvelous job, much better than I would have done!

I love watching my kids do stuff like this. It makes me really sad when I think about how quickly they're growing up, and try to imagine my life without toys strewn about and naked babies running through the house. But I'm promised that each stage has it's own joys and pleasures...so I'm doing my best to look forward to those instead of missing what was...

post signature

3 comments:

Bonnie said...

I can attest to joys in each phase. Enjoying the moment or the day is the key.
I think we're warned about worrying about tomorrow...and encouraged to be content today.
(Easier said than done, but definitely the wise thing to do.)

and seeing that little guy in his shirt, underwear, socks, and boots last night brought back lovely memories of when you guys were little...You'll always have these memories!

word verification update: Just in case you're wondering, Yes, that's me, "deboo"!

Lee and Michelle said...

Aw man that is so funny! Naked and riding a horse, I guess you could call that the original bare back ... My kids love "the Lord's army" too! I'm sure you know the cowboy version of that song too, right?

Heidi said...

Such a sweet boy!! And the pics are so cute!