Wednesday, September 8, 2010

1st Day of Preschool - What a Day!

Yesterday was Micah's first day in Miss Pam's Penguin class, Joey's first day in Mrs. Katie's Bears class, and my first day in Mrs. Rachel's Rabbits class. It was raining, so we didn't get to do our first day pictures outside like usual, but we made do in the kitchen!Micah reported a great day - one of his friends liked his Phineas and Ferb shirt, and they got to paint red apples! Last year Micah brought Softie to school with him. To my knowledge, Softie never left Micah's backpack, but it was comforting to Micah just to know that he was there. But this year he has decided that now that he's 4 1/2 and in pre-K, he doesn't even need to bring Softie with him in the van. It's just fine for Softie to wait for him at home. Wow. I'm excited and proud that he's becoming unattached on his own...but it's a little sad for me too.

Joey seemed to have had a great day - he got to paint circles with dot dot markers and Mrs. Katie read them a dinosaur book! I had been a little concerned about what Joey would do when/if he saw me in the hall. (Our classrooms are next door.) And it happened - and he told me, "I'm finished in there." But I got a hug, told him he needed to go back for a little while, and he was fine. Phew!

My day was pretty crazy. I hadn't been actively looking for a job when this one came up. I had just heard that there was an opening, dropped off my resume just to see what would happen, and months had passed. I had given up on it. And then I got a call at the end of July to come in for an interview, and the whole thing just kind of fell into my lap. I've been really excited about this, but anxious to see just how it would all work out.

Just before Meet the Teacher on Thursday, I learned that two of my students had dropped out. And then on Friday afternoon I learned that I already had two new students. And the school was closed on Monday...and they and their parents would be coming early on the first day to meet me since they missed Meet the Teacher...leaving me scrambling to try to take the old kids' names off of things and get the new kids' names up in the few minutes I had before they got there.

So the day started off a little hectic for me, but ended up okay. I'm going to need to make some adjustments to my schedule, and try a couple of things a little differently next time...but mostly it was a good day. I'm feeling like once we get into our routine, this little job is really going to be a blessing for me and my family.

We were all pooped though, and after a relaxing rest time at home for a couple of hours, we went to get Conner. It was still raining - Tropical Storm Hermine (or was it just "the remnants of Tropical Storm Hermine" at that time, I don't know) was upon us. Instead of my normal walk-up pickup, I had made arrangements to get Conner in the carline so we wouldn't get wet. But then we heard the sirens. We were under a Tornado Watch. No children would be released from the school until the Watch had expired. So I turned off the van, grabbed Joey and Micah, and ran through the rain (so much for staying dry!) and into the school.

Indoors, we joined the reams of students exiting the gym where they had been waiting for their parents, and went with Conner and the other first graders into an inside room. There we all sat in the duck-and-cover position for about 30 minutes. It was pretty brutal and uncomfortable, and the kids of course didn't understand what was going on and didn't want to sit on the floor that way.

One of the teachers asked if anyone knew a song that they wanted to sing. Conner immediately started singing, "Waves of Mercy," and the entire first grade sang along with him. It was pretty cool - what a sweet kid I've got! Then we sang a few other random songs...and eventually Conner and I ended up leading everyone in a rivoting rendition of "99 Bottles of Pop on the Wall." Believe it or not, the kids all sang along. There was no fidgeting or talking...until we got to 78 and in disbelief I asked if they wanted to keep going. "Nooooo!" they all groaned. :)

Not long after that we were released from the duck-and-cover position, and the kids were released to their parents. It was raining much harder now, but we ran back out to the van, where it was holding up carline.

Between the first-day-crazies and the tornado routine, I was exhausted. I was thrilled when Bret took us to Chick-fil-A for dinner, and very ready to call it a day after that. We'll see how day 2 goes tomorrow...
post signature

2 comments:

Bonnie said...

Whew! is right!
I do love how Micah has started smiling for pictures now. Such a cute kid!

Anonymous said...

Cute Preschool Pics!