Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Clowns

One of the clowns from the Ringling Brothers Circus came to the library today. So of course, my three little clowns wanted to go see.

I was a little worried about how it would turn out for us. Conner had some pretty specific expectations - he wanted them to ask for volunteers, he wanted them to pick him, he wanted someone to take him back stage and give him a pie, he wanted to surprise the clown by throwing that pie in his face, and then he wanted the clown to lick his own face and say, "Mmm, blackberry!" He told me several times that this is what he hoped would happen, and I had told him each time that I just wasn't sure what to expect. But I didn't know if he had really heard me.

They passed out clown noses as we came in. Joey wore his for a minute, and then became more interested in making sure that I kept mine on. Conner wore his for a minute, and then took it off because he said it smelled funny. And suprise, surprise - Micah wouldn't put his on at all.

The whole thing ended up being a big advertisement - the circus is coming to town later this summer. Shocker.

But, Kelly the Clown did juggle a lot for us - even giant tennis balls! And he talked a lot about hand-eye coordination, how it worked, and what an important part of juggling that is. And luckily, Conner thought the guy was absolutely hilarious, and seems to have forgotten all about sneaky tricks and blackberry pies. Micah and Joey really seemed to enjoy it, too - they all want to go to the circus now. Kudos on your successful advertisement, Ringling Brothers.

When it was all over, we went to have our picture made with Kelly the Clown. Conner actually even put his nose on for the shot, Joey played along, but Micah didn't want to have anything to do with it. And then as we were walking out, a woman from the local paper told me that she had taken a picture of my boys with the clowns, could she have their names in case they ran it? How exciting! Too bad Micah wasn't in it... :(
post signature

1 comment:

Bonnie said...

What a fun little activity for you and your kiddos. I just love summer library programs....