Monday, February 8, 2010

Geaux Saints!

Did you hear that the Saints were in the Super Bowl?

Five years ago, if you had told me that I'd care about that, I probably would have laughed my socks off. But after moving to the New Orleans area nine months after Hurricane Katrina, living there for the next two and a half years, and (even though I really don't care too much about football) watching The Saints rise to the top all around me...well...Can I just say that I am so excited for the Saints, the city of New Orleans, and the state of Louisiana? The Saints' success has been so uplifting, inspiring, and symbolic for those crazy Cajuns, so many of whom still have a hold on part of my heart.

So we were rooting for the Saints last night. Even Joey!

And even though I didn't get to go to the Super Bowl party, (After Saturday night's casserole exchange, I ran Conner -- who was sent home from school early on Friday with a 101 fever, and hadn't swallowed even his own spit since then because it hurt so badly -- to Urgent Care. After a diagnosis of Strep Throat and Mono, he's been on antibioics and steroids...and confined to home for a few days...which means I have been, too.) I sent a bucket of Mardi Gras beads and a home made King Cake (a New Orleans Mardi Gras specialty).

And wouldn't you know it, those Saints actually pulled it off! (Bret was excited, too!)

Congratulations, New Orleans! It's strange how all of this has made me miss you...


post signature

1 comment:

Bonnie said...

Yep...It's easy to get all mushy over your time in New Orleans when you're this much closer to me now...
But gotta say that I was cheering very loudly for those Saints and the game was infinitely more fun when I actually cared who won!
And, yes, I'm very, very, very glad you're back on this side of the Texas border, but you did leave some good people behind and brought some good memories with you!