Monday, December 28, 2009

Medicine

For several weeks now, Joey has very consistently answered "moon" (balloon) when you ask him what he wants for Christmas. I'm not real sure how he landed on that, since he doesn't really even know what Christmas is, but that's what he says.

Well, a week or two ago he got to stay at my Mom's and Dad's house for the weekend while the big boys and Bret and I enjoyed some Joey-free time. While he was there, he had a little bit of fever, so Mom gave him some grape-flavored chewable Motrin a few times. Joey loved it. Then when he got home, he found that Conner and Micah had been sick and were both on antibiotics, each getting a dose of "medicine" twice a day. He was very upset that even when he asked nicely, he did not get any. So upset, in fact, that a few days later when I asked him what he wanted for Christmas, he told me, "medicine." He is all about medicine these days...

Fast forward to Saturday afternoon, when we realized that Joey was missing, and wherever he was, he was being very quiet. Bret found him pretty quickly -- on the dining room table. He had climbed on top, found the medicine bag in my purse, opened it, found the bottle of children's motrin, opened that, and was eating them.

We did our best little investigation, and decided that it was possible for him to have eaten as many as 8-10. His correct dose is one. So we called Poison Control. They said, that because of his weight, really he could have eaten the entire bottle and it would not have been toxic. He would be fine -- we just needed to make sure he was eating so that all of that medicine wouldn't be on an empty stomach, and drinking a lot so that his body could flush it all out quickly. So we gave him a roll with peanut butter, and some apple juice. We didn't have much luck getting him to eat or drink as much as we wanted though.

But he ended up being fine. And as we continued to process the situation, we decided that really, he probably hadn't eaten more than 2 or 3. He just wasn't in there long enough, and wasn't acting sleepy enough.

Then, this morning while my kids were staying with my sister, I got a phone call. Joey had, once again, crawled up on top of something, found her purse, opened it, found a bottle of medicine (this time a prescription pain killer), opened it, and appeared to be eating it. She had turned around and discovered this situation when she heard what sounded like a medicine bottle being shaken. (She's good, huh?!) She checked him out, and couldn't tell that he had chewed any up. But they are very small, and even as young as he is he could have just swallowed some. So she had called poison control. Once again, they said that he would be fine. We just needed to make sure he was eating and drinking, and needed to watch for an upset stomach. If he was showing any signs of an upset stomach, we needed to call back. But more than likely, he would be fine.

So, we did the eating and drinking thing again. (Or at least tried to.) He ended up being fine, and we've just about decided that he must not have actually eaten any.

Man oh man, that kid! We're gonna be watching him like a hawk! Or at least doing our best...

post signature

2 comments:

Gammie said...

do you have poison control on speed dial yet? That child....he does keep you alert!

Bonnie said...

Joey doesn't look too happy about being confined & being "forced" to eat and drink...