Thursday, November 19, 2009

T-E-X-A-S Spells Blessed

I had an idea last week -- a way to teach our kids a little bit of Bible, as well as some reaching out to others. Excited about it, I sent all the Christ Journey folks an email and posted it on Facebook:

The story of "David Plays His Harp for King Saul" found in 1 Samuel 16:14-23 has been on my heart the past couple of days. It's a good Old Testament story that tells about the power of music to encourage.

Bret and I plan to share this story with our family tomorrow morning (Sunday) at breakfast. I would encourage you to do the same. (We'll be using a little more kid friendly version of the story than what's found in the NIV.)

We plan to bring a related color and activity sheet for our kids to work on during the sermon tomorrow -- CJ folks, I'll bring enough to share! :)

Then sometime during the week next week we -- and again, I encourage you to do the same -- will look for an opportunity to encourage someone through music. Specifically, we plan to encourage our kids to do this for a friend or neighbor. Sing a song for them, play an instrument for them, send them a link to a song/music video you think they would like, request a song for them at the radio station and then tell them to make sure and tune in, ask a friend who plays an instrument to play a song for you...the possibilities are endless. Be creative! And then include the rest of us in your journey and share your story!

I'm looking forward to sharing this journey with you!

~Rachel

I was really excited about this, with beautiful visions of hugs and tears and heavenly music sweeping Burleson over the next week.

...then on Monday I realized that I -- reserved and un-musical me -- had gone and opened my mouth, and I was going to have to actually do this with the kids. What was I going to do?!

I spent all day Monday and Tuesday racking my brain, trying to talk to the (unreceptive) boys about it, trying to not to nag Bret, trying to put together a beautifully perfect project that we could do for a hurting non-Christian that we knew, pressuring myself to shape the ideal story to share.

On Wednesday morning, we were out of toothpaste and cheese and chocolate syrup for the milk, and dangerously low on toilet paper and diapers. A WalMart run had become a must.

Somewhere around the green beans I realized that this could be a great time to share some music. But I still didn't know what to do. We had gotten to the point that all of the groceries we had gotten so far did not fit in the basket with both the boys anymore. Micah was trailing farther behind me than I was comfortable with, and Joey was squirming around in my arms trying to keep himself from falling asleep. I was stressed with making sure that I was staying within the grocery budget, I was sweating, and my arms felt like they were going to fall off.

Then I realized that Micah was singing. It was a goofy little song, one that Conner had learned at school and shared with us, about Texas to the tune of "B-I-N-G-O." But Micah was singing it over and over again. And then I realized that everyone we passed suddenly came out of their own grocery-shopping-at-WalMart-and-not-happy-about-it daze and watched him, a smile creeping onto their faces. Some of them even stopped to point him out to someone next to them.

This was it. Micah was doing it. It wasn't according to a grand plan that I had devised, and it wasn't blessing anyone that we knew, but we were blessing the lives of others, forming a little community on each aisle that we went down.

So I stopped for a moment and reminded Micah of David and King Saul. I applauded him for blessing others with his song, telling him that he was just like David. That made him even more proud, and he sang even louder -- now noticing that he was making others smile -- which made him smile and sing even louder -- which made them smile even more -- and then I found even myself coming out of my Walmart-induced grumpiness.

He continued that for literally, about 15 minutes. We didn't talk to anyone except for the checkout clerk (who also got a rendition of the Backyardigans' pirate song), but I think we did it. I truly think that we might have turned the day around for some of those folks. I know my own day had been blessed.

Thank you Micah, for reminding me how much more we can do when we set aside our own grand plans and live in the moment God has put us in.

post signature

3 comments:

Bret Wells said...

You guys are so awesome. Its hard not to smile when Micah sings to you about a "gwace (place) that we all know and Texas is its name-o."

I loved your line that you were "forming a little community on each aisle." That's a pretty amazing thing to think about. I was listening to someone the other day talk about community is something we discover more than cultivate.

I think that's part of what you were experiencing. You didn't have to do anything to form deep bonds of community - those goofy lines of song from a 3.5 year old pulled back the veil and displayed the common humanity that we all share as image bearers of the Creative God of the Universe.

Thanks for sharing!

Bonnie said...

If we could all just let loose and live in the moment more!!
...but it wouldn't have had the same effect if I'd been singing T-E-X-A-S loudly in Wal-Mart...
Children are just a commonality all humanity has...even if you don't have any you call your own, everyone was one at one time none-the-less. Thank you, Micah, and thank you Rachel for taking the time to point out the joy he was bringing to others and to God and in praise and gloify our God in the process!

E.T.'s Mom said...

I love this post. Thanks for sharing!