Monday, November 2, 2009

Glow Sticks

I let the boys play with glow sticks today. They were in the bedroom with the curtains and the door shut, having a ball. So I decided to take advantage of the moment and make a phonecall.

No sooner had the other person answered, and Conner and Micah came running back into the room, "Mom, Mom! You have to come see this! It is so cool!"


"I know," I answered, "they're glow sticks. They are cool. I'll come see in a minute when I get off the phone." And as I listened to squeals of delight (that were honestly making me a little nervous) I did my best to quickly finish the phone call quickly.

When I walked into the room, I was greeted by a very odd smell, and tiny glowing dots that covered everything -- the carpet, the walls, the furniture, the toys, the kids. Ev-ery-where.

(It's hard to tell in the picture, but you get the idea.) Then I turned on the light, and Joey was standing there, happily waving his glow stick around in the air.
He had managed to bust a hole in it and the "juice" inside was flying everywhere. The boys were right -- it was cool! But I was in a bit of a panic. This is going to take forever to clean up. Poor Joey would never sleep in a room that looked like this in the dark. (Poor me!) How exactly do you clean up glow stick juice? Does it stain?

So I called Mom. Calmly, she said, "Can you see it when the lights are on? Do you really have to clean it all up?" Oh. Duh. Thanks, Mom! :)

So I gave each of the boys a wet wipe, turned on the fan (to get rid of the overpowering smell), and let them help me clean. We soon discovered that the fan also served to dry up the juice, which apparently doesn't glow after it dries up. The mess literally disappeared in a matter of moments, right before our eyes. Now that's my kind of mess! ;)


post signature

No comments: