Tuesday, August 4, 2009

He Speaks, Through My Children

I am still engaged in the process of spiritual discernment that I mentioned a little over a week ago. It's still going well, though I have to admit that it's not going quite as well for me as the first week did. We've had some out-of-the-ordinary kind of craziness going on, my routine is off, and I just don't typically do well with this kind of thing when I'm out of my routine.

I love being in the midst of something like this, being in community with others doing something similar, intentionally listening for answers to the same questions. I really feel a closeness with God that I love and long for. That's why I don't understand -- if I love it so much, if it's so good and meaningful, why is it so hard to do it everyday?! I don't know, but it really is... I'm constantly amazed at the patience God has for his children.

But, even with all of that said, I did have what I feel was a pretty significant experience last week that I would like to share.

Our spiritual discipline for one day of each week is to play with and/or listen to your kids. So, as they were playing, I was listening. This is what I heard that really stood out. Conner, as he was trying to play with Micah, but Micah was ignoring him: "Micah, would you please listen to my jokes? Don't you want to fill my bucket? Besides, it will fill your bucket too, remember?" (We had just had a lesson at a worship gathering about how doing something nice for others fills their "bucket" -- and usually fills your own "bucket" at the same time.)

And later I heard this: Conner, praying for the Chappotins and brand-new Baby Hudson, after I had been ooh-ing and ahh-ing over him: "Dear God, thank you for Mrs. Heidi having a baby. Thank you for Mrs. Heidi having a beautiful baby. Thank you for Mommy really, really, really, really, really liking soft baby hair. In Jesus name, Amen." I didn't even know he was listening.

And so, what I heard from my kids today, what I heard the Spirit telling me through my children: Kids want to be listened to, and kids are listening to adults even when we don't know it. God even uses what these kids say to teach the adults sometimes. I felt that was pretty significant in regards to the question we were asking last week. God is cool.

post signature

1 comment:

Bonnie said...

You know, Rach, I'm right there with you...wondering why, when it feels and just IS so right to have that quiet time with just me & God, that it really is one of the first things to fly out the window when the routine becomes non-routine.
and yes, I've even felt a lot of guilt over it through the years.

But I think, it is because of your desire to commune with God, even when the world fights frantically to prevent it, God peeps in the windows of your life & whispers words of inspiration through your children (whisper through your children...maybe that's an oxymoron!) ...Your heart has to be tuned in to hear and see those things...
Yes, I'm so thankful that God is patient and that's he's creative in showing his love to us through...well, everything. Lord, give me eyes to see & ears to hear!